Chapter 49

They travel through chilly rivers, forests filled with the scent of pine, and plains of soft grass, to find the gaping hole in the ground torn open by the rock monster.

Kitty tosses a rope, which feels like sandpaper as each of the heroes cautiously climb down to the bottom.

It takes them an instant to locate the wall with the carved message and drawings of the monsters.

Emily looks at Amethyst, waiting for her to put in the gems.

After the stones are slotted into their holes, their colors light up.

The wall slides open to reveal a set of stairs going up.

A few steps are what separates the heroes from their treasure.

Once they reach the top, sitting on a glass platform, is a multicolored gem.

The gem of infinite power.

Emily reaches out and picks it up.

Something so tiny, yet so powerful, now lays in her hands.

"I suppose our mission is complete?" Kitty asks.

"I guess it is," Emily replies.

"Wait, there's something else."

April notices a slip of paper that was underneath the gem.

She removes it, then sees a line of numbers.

"No idea what this means," she murmurs.

"Just leave it," Daffy says.

"Might be important. I'll keep it for now," April decides, sliding the paper into her shirt pocket.

The group walks back down the stairs and climbs up Kitty's rope.

"Couldn't have gotten a softer rope?" Daffy grunts while going up.

When he reaches the top, he notices the feathers on his hands were rubbed off from the climbing.

Daffy gasps at this.

Kitty removes the map from her suit and traces her way to the exit of the world.

"This way," she tells the others, leading them.

Later, they arrive at the lake they encountered shortly after passing through the portal.

Just like last time, everyone but Kitty dives in to enjoy the warm water.

Emily splashes Amethyst while giggling like a child.

Shortly after Amethyst retaliates with a wave of her own, one of the bushes behind them rustles.

The splash fight stops as everyone looks at the bush that moved.

Following a minute passing of nothing else happening, they shrug it off and continue soaking each other.

Then the nearby bushes move again.

"Is something following us?" Kelsey wonders.

However, from then until reaching the end of the stream, the bushes remain still.

As the characters walk out of the water, Bliss remains in the lake.

"Bliss, are you coming?" Kitty asks.

"Oh what's the rush? I have never been in water as warm as this, and I want to cherish it! Can I have a few more minutes?" Bliss pleads with puppy eyes.

"We'll wait beside the exit," Kitty replies.

Bliss nods before returning underwater.

When the others approach the portal, Kitty suddenly gasps and takes cover behind a tree.