Chapter One - "It's Gotta Be You"

*CHAPTER ONE*

"Neveah Lee." 

I hear my name being called through the microphone. "This is it," I think, "Graduation." As the claps start sounding around the gym, I rise from my seat and make my way to the stage, sporting my long grad robe and hat. I smile at the crowd, looking extremely nervous none-the-less because of my stage fright, but i manage to shake my teachers hand and take my diploma. I stand there for a few seconds taking it all in then walk over to the stairs to exit the stage. Being my clumsy self, I trip on the second step, but luckily my best friend in the whole world is there to catch me. Emily. Emily Hansen. She is basically the definition of perfection. From her beautiful straight dark brown hair that lightly sits on her shoulders, to her sparkly grey blue eyes that seem to stare into your soul. Plus, unlike me, she isn't shy at all. She's outgoing and everyone loves her. Then there's me who is too terrified even speak a word in front of people. The only talent I have is singing, although I've never taken lessons, and Emily is the only one who knows about it. To many, Em's just the gorgeous, rich popular girl, but to me she's my best friend. My only friend. She's a real sweetheart. God, I swear, I don't know what I would do without her. She was waiting right at the bottom of the steps for me since her name was already called. "We did it!" She yells, flashing her amazing smile. She pulls me in for a big hug, crushing my glasses into her shoulders. God, I wish I had contacts. Being only 5'1 tall, hugs can be lethal. She grabs my hand in hers and we run to my parents. "Oh hunny we are SO proud of you!" My mother says to me as she pulls me into her arms, running her fingers through my long curly brown hair, trying not to cry. "Great job Nev." My father says as my mother hands me over to him. Looking at their tears of joy shining in the light, makes it so hard not to cry myself. I hold it back though because I don't want to seem like a wimp, but my naturally green eyes turn blue when I'm sad so there is really no hiding my true feelings. They smile and pull me into a group hug one last time.