Prologue

Camiguin Island, Philippines
April 7, 5:49 PM

"Are you sure about this?" Henry McConnor asked, for the third time.
"Yes, McConnor. Once again, I'm sure!" Daisy Perez said, annoyed. She stood before the balcony's edge, dying but strong. She watched two children play in the hedge maze of the garden below the balcony, both were still 12 years old, a boy and a girl.
"Should I call for your grandchildren, ma'am?"
"Let them play, I don't want them to resent me before I die. I'd rather see them happy." She said in a, somewhat, joking tone.
"Then it's time..." he said, taking out a paper and pen.
"Your final will and testament."
Daisy took the paper and reread it for the 32nd time that year.
"But," McConnor said, still gripping the pen Daisy tried to take, "Are you sure?"
Daisy, sensing the seriousness in his voice, nodded slowly. He let go of the pen and she signed the paper.
She struggled to keep balance, legs weakening. She settled down on the rocking chair near the door of the balcony, she especially asked for it to be placed there so the children won't see her.
Beep-beep. She checked her watch, 5:51 PM. Just in time for the sun to set.
"McConnor," She called, he leaned nearer as her voice got fainter, "No matter what, even if it breaks the rules, keep them safe. Not as my lawyer, but as my friend."
McConnor looked at her in surprise, even she knows this promise is too much to keep. Out of his own will, he nods.
She looks at him thankfully and dismisses him. She looked at the setting sun and sighed.
In her younger years, she imagined her daughter with her husband beside her on her deathbed, along with her grandchildren. But here she is, all alone, on a rocking chair instead of a bed, but she didn't mind. She got her peace as she looked at the golden sky and setting sun.
She gently closed her eyes, and never woke up.