Prologue - The Channel

The first object to hit the water looked like a skeletal arm, only metallic and studded with bolts. Its fingers still clenched in a final act of despair as it drifted down into the gloomy depths. A moment later, it was followed by large shreds of shrapnel, then some thick, heavy-duty bolts. Like some strange rain, these alien objects came bursting one after another, throwing up an inverted tower of bubbles into this otherwise undisturbed underworld, then slowing as they faded into the void.

An expensive, leather shoe. A walking stick: its shaft a fine, polished oak, the handle an expertly craft lion's head. A pocket watch, air bubbles forming beneath the glass as the icy waters leaked into its delicate interior.

Something else can crashing down in this torrent though, unseen but of even greater value. More valuable even than the great airship, now heading for the bottom of the seabed, or the lives of those who had perished aboard it. Hopes and dreams. Carefully laid plans.

Mackenzie Bannerman had set out to undo a plot to overthrow the monarchy of Britannia, yet both he and his King had lost their lives that night. What would come of their beloved Empire without them to hold off Tristan Redjoy and his treacherous machinations?

Jonas Bannerman had come from nothing and nowhere, thrust into a world many would have found incomprehensible and yet in which he had survived. Such great things had lain ahead for him, a future of untold brightness at Mackenzie's side. But now, like the ruin of the Queen Eliza, all was lost, scattered and doomed.