The Rebound

Do you ever flirt with someone just because you can. Because you're so sad about someone else you don't know what else to do with your life.

Well I'm not gay but I flirted with everyone. And I mean everyone.

Beverly the most. I think I may have loved her.

But I didn't let myself

For Betty

And for Bill

"Hey Bev. How are you?" I slid on the bench right next to her. I noticed things about her as she sat. How relaxed she was, how her hair was perfect, and how she was just so beautiful. So fucking beautiful.

"Is that an actual question Tozier?" Was she flirting. It seemed like she was flirting.

"Just curious. Well?"

"It's okay I guess."

"I can make it a whole lot better." And I winked at her.

"Ah there's the catch."

"Fuck Bev do you have to be condescending?" I slid my arm over her shoulder. It felt right there. Like it belonged.

She didn't move. It was like it was just fine with her.

"Fuck Richie can you be any more obvious?"

Then I kissed her. Just to make a point I didn't even want to date her. That badly.

"Holy shit Rich! What the fuck?"

"I guess I can be more obvious." Then to keep her guessing I went inside the store next to her and picked her up some of her favorite ice cream.

"Here you are milady." Then I handed her a waffle cone with mint chocolate chip.

"Why thank you good sir." She smiled. I swear her smile could brighten up the darkest of rooms.

No I tell myself think of Betty.

Suddenly Betty is standing twenty feet behind Beverly.

She must have seen the blood drain from my face.

"What is it Richie?" She said as she touched my face.

I felt my skin flush but I was still so afraid I forgot.

Then she looked and saw Betty.

"What the hell?" she was shocked.

"Richie? Who is she? I'm supposed to be your girl." Betty said with so much anger in her eyes, so much hate.

"You were! You are! She's just a friend!" Tears came to my eyes. I started rapidly wiping them away then Betty wiped them away for me.

"You're meant to be mine Richie!" She screamed it. Tears in her eyes.

"Betty please stop doing this! Stop torturing me!"

Beverly looked at me with so much fear in her eyes. Not because she was afraid of Betty but because she was afraid for me. Me. Richie Tozier.

"Go away Betty! You go the fuck away!" She screamed. Then she grabbed my hand.

Anger rose in Betty's face.

Then Beverly kissed me she put one hand of my chest and the other on my face.

And then Betty was gone. She just disappeared.

I was breathless. Because of the making out and just because of Beverly. Just Beverly.

"What the fuck Rich?"

"I don't know. She just started showing up since she died."

"But why does she haunt you?"

And I told her all about my crush on Betty how I could've saved her life. And about all of the hauntings.

"You can't blame yourself Richie. You just can't."

"Bill keeps telling me that."

"Bill knows?"

Then we both looked across the street and Bill was standing there awestruck and angry.

Then he started storming away and Beverly chased him.

She left me in a bench for Bill. And I really needed her.