Chapter 2

How funny. I get to switch places with some random person from the Western. Fantastic.

I get up, not showing any emotions whatsoever. I want to look like I don't care.

The guards lead me inside the building and into a room full of rows of chairs. I see Desiree sitting in the second row picking at her fingernail.

I sit next to her, not wanting to sit alone.

"What do you think happens now?" I ask.

She shrugs. "We don't know what's on the other side, so it's going to be a surprise." I smile wryly.

The doors open and our families rush in. The first thing my dad says is, "You two are very valuable. Appear vulnerable to others." Desiree's dad nods his head on agreement. My dad pulls me into a bone crushing hug.

My mom gives me a hug. "Remember us. You're old enough to take care of yourself. I know you know how to kick butt, so that's reassuring." I laugh, even if it's a sad moment, knowing that I might not ever see my family again.

Callie has tears running down her face. "Don't ever change," she says. I nod and give her a hug.

Terence puts a hand on my shoulder. "Good luck," he says and gives me a hug.

I pull back and see the loving faces of my family, people that really care about me. All of them have tears in their eyes.

The same two guards appear again to take us to the train. I wave one last time, my eyes watering.

The train is a metallic silver. I can tell it's very high-tech. Me and Desiree hop onto the train and are dazed by the lights. Every inch of the wall of the train car was covered in lights.

I wander about the train and find my room. It's a pretty decent room.

The ride to the main airport isn't that long. The airport is just as grand as the train. I've been to the airport a couple of times.

All the people that are getting Switched are herded into a room.

The same lady that was on the screen comes to the front of the room. "Listen up everyone!" she says. The room goes quiet.

"Now, we all know you're leaving your homes to go to somewhere you don't know. May I warn you all that the Western people will inject something in your arm that will keep you immune to any diseases on their side. You people have been chosen because you have special DNA. It will react with the injection fluid. You will attain special powers I do not know of. One more thing, we need you guys to be spies. Once you get there, they will give you cell phones. Contact us then. Good luck to you all."

With that, we're ushered into the airplane. The airplane is as grand as the train, though not do many lights. I find a seat next to Desiree.

"Mind if I sit here?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "What the heck was that lady talking about?"

I shrug. I'm just as confused as she is.

"What will they do to us?" she asks after an hour of silence.

"Probably train us to make them theirs," I reply.

The plane descends. As we turn into the gate, all sixteen of us get up and prepare to get off, even though they told us not to get up until we come to a full stop. Talk about listening to directions.

As we exit the gate, there are immigration tables set up on a line.

"Four per table!" shouts a guard. I hurry to a line that only has three people in it.