Chapter 6

"I don't think we thought this all the way through," Klaus called after Caroline. She had just unlocked the door to the dorm and stepped inside without a backwards glance. Klaus found himself caught at her threshold.

"What?" Caroline spun around to find him standing with one hand pressed up against an invisible barrier. "I hadn't thought about that," Caroline smiled slyly as she came closer, "I'm almost tempted to leave you there." She slowly came forward before stopping; her feet pressed against the inside of the barrier. "How are we going to get you inside?"

"I can compel someone in the office to remove Elena's name from the registry," Klaus suggested.

"It's Sunday," Caroline shook her head, "the offices are closed. That's why we have to come back tomorrow; to push the transfers through."

"How could I forget?" Klaus shook his head with a small smile.

"Do you think an invitation over the phone would work?" Caroline had already started dialing Elena's number.

"I'm not sure," Klaus hummed, "never thought to try. It's worth a shot." He leaned against the wall outside the door and waited.

"No answer," Caroline checked the time; it was a little after two. "I'll try again; she might have overslept."

"She has been through a lot the last few days," he smiled when he heard the second call connect, "apparently she's awake now."

"Hello?" Elena breathed. Caroline thought she heard suppressed amusement in her friend's voice.

"Hey 'lena."

"Caroline?" There was definitely laughter in her voice, undercut with a hint of annoyance. "What do you need? I'm kind of in the middle of something."

Caroline distinctly heard a breathy sigh as Elena pushed something away. "K-Klaus can't get in the dorm," she gulped, "I need you to invite him in."

"W-will," Elena stuttered, "that even work o-over the phone?"

"Can't hurt to try love," Klaus leaned as close as the barrier would allow. He thought he heard Elijah snicker on the other end of the call.

"Come in Klaus."

Caroline watched with bated breath as he raised his right foot and stepped over the threshold with ease.

"Did it work?" Elena annoyed voice had grown breathless.

"Yes."

"Then I'm hanging up."

Caroline stared at the phone for a moment before eyeing Klaus. "Did you hear what I heard?"

"Yes," Klaus cleared his throat and pulled some boxes into the room, "and I'd rather not talk about my brother and his soulmate in a compromising position."

"Fair enough," Caroline shuddered at the mental image, "let's just start packing." She motioned for Klaus to start on the books, cds, and pictures on the shelves while she headed for Elena's closet.

They worked in silence for a while. Klaus filled boxes with books and Caroline folded clothes. She had just finished putting the last of the clothes from the dresser in a box and labeled it when she glanced across the room at Klaus. He had finished the shelves and was now staring at an old picture of Caroline, Bonnie and Elena.

"What was this for?" Klaus asked when he saw her staring. Caroline peered at the picture. It was of them as kids; they had dressed up as Charlies Angels for Halloween. Caroline could remember her mom snapping the picture of the three of them in the signature pose.