Prologue

Winter was definitely the best time to go for a hike in the woods. Everything was covered in white and my steps sunk into the snow. The sun barely peek through the trees and I sighed as the beams hit my face.

I looked at the scene through my camera lens, my finger trigger ready. When I was satisfied with the picture and I was just about to press the shutter button, I felt something cold and wet hit the back of my head.

I cried out in shock and spun around. "Dad! What the hell!" I yelled, rubbing the bump forming on the back of my head. That's going to leave a mark.

"Hey now- no swearing." He mumbled trying to hold in his laughter. I glared daggers at him as his shoulders started to tremble and a creepy smile stretched across his face.

"You idiot! You could've hit my camera! And now my head is-" I stepped back but lost my balance and fell. Now the small bump swelled into a minature concussion. It felt like someone was pounding on the glass at a currently tied hockey game inside of my head.

My dad was now laughing. Or more like he yukked. His laugh was stupid, deep and donkey like. When ever I made fun of him, he chimed back that I had the same stupid laugh.

I let out a flustered groan. "Help me up." I commanded, lifting my hand and putting a protective arm around my camera. He walked over to me, still smiling stupidly, and helped me up.

"Thank you." I grumbled, patting the snow off my pants. When I looked back up, he was already walking away. I sighed and ran after him.

"So, why did you halt our expedition to Flo's? So we can walk aimlessly around trees, all the while freezing to death?" I asked, matching up my strides to his.

"What? Is there wrong in forcing my hungry, teenage daughter, which I don't see often because how busy I am down at the station, to have a bonding walk through the forest?" He demanded, marching around large rocks and trees.

"Yes, it is. It is even more in the wrong when you don't tell said daughter what we are even doing and why we are starving ourselves." I exclaimed, flailing my arms.

"Stop being so dramatic, I just want to show you something. It's just past these trees here." He explained, crouching under the branches of a snow covered pine tree. I followed until we reached a large clearing.

We were standing beside the bottom of a cliff and in front of us was a large snow covered field. Without the cover of the trees, we were being pelted by snow. Off in the distance I could just make out a two lane highway and the haze of Lake Chester behind it. Some people we walking along it, holding sleds and tubes. There was an amazing tobogganing hill a few minutes down the road from here.

"Hey Dad, found the motorcycle." I stated, pointing over to the blurry outline parked beside the road. That was where we entered into the woods half an hour ago.

"Lorraine! Over here." My dad called. I turned around and saw him climbing some rocks to reach a cave opening five metres from the ground. After taking a quick picture, I followed after him.

"Is this what you wanted to show me?" I asked as he helped me up. I looked into the cave and felt a chill run down my back. The place looked creepy and I half expected an abominable snowman to jump us.

"Yup. This cave collapsed a couple of years ago. It used to be a mine shaft at one point in time." He explained, walking in a little further into the cave until we found the wall made of dirt and rocks.

"I came here with my brother and his friends a lot when we were younger before the cave in." He turned and smiled at me with a nostalgic grin. "We used to dare each other to go in as far as you could. I hold the record of going in the farthest." His smile faded as he turned to stare at the wall.