*Chapter Four*

The truth was my shift didn't start at one, but I wanted to get some fresh air, walk around the town square, and maybe sort out my thoughts.

I parked the car, which I shared with Poppy and Noal, in Flo's parking lot, then hopped out. Luckily the snow storm from last night didn't last long and the sun was beating down on me, but did little to warm me up. As I walked, I thought about this morning and how cautious Poppy was around me. I didn't understand, what did she think I was going to do, blow up at her?

I let out a sigh, then made a quick decision to run across the street and enter a small cafe. The warm air and coffee beans rushed to meet me as I entered. All the noise of the traffic from outside couldn't penetrate the café's serene environment, it felt like I was in a different world.

I strode up to the counter and was greeted by an older woman. "Good morning dear, is something troubling you?"

My eyes widened slightly, how did she know? "Yes, actually."

Her smile was small, but it made her soft blue eyes brighter and her crinkles by her eyes more defined. It was a knowing smile, the one I saw on Poppy's face a lot.

"I have the perfect thing, do you like fruity teas?" She asked, turning away from me.

"Yes, I do."

The elderly woman hummed as she prepared the tea frightfully quick for someone of her age. Once she handed me the cup and I paid for it, I sat in one of the chairs beside the window. Small swirls of warm air were emitting from the cup, it wafted up through the air and circled around my nose. It smelt like every citrus fruit combined it one hot drink. The smell made my headache vanish and my aching stomach calm.

I took generous sip of the tea while I watched the scene outside.

People walked by, some holding skis or snowboards, others were laughing away with their friends. The Central Public Library was just across the street where I sat, and I watched many tourists fly into the building and out. Then I noticed a boy walking across the street, striding towards the café. I recognized him as the boy who had beat me in snowboarding. And he was the guy who had dragged me out of the lake, he was there that day. He saw the wall. I needed to talk to him.

As the door to the café opened and the boy entered, I quickly picked up a magazine and hid my face from him. I peeked from behind it, watching as he talked to the lady behind the counter, his hands moving around as if he was describing something to her. With a nod the lady started to make the boy's order, and I waited anxiously as I tried to plan out what I would say to him.

I couldn't just go up to him and say 'hey, you saved my life. Do you know if you saw a purple wall by chance? Trust me, I'm not crazy.' No, definitely not.

The lady handed him his order, and I watched as he payed with cash, then walked out the door. I watched him walk down the street for a moment, then got up to followed him.

He was very fast walker, and I had to squeeze by some couples to catch up with him. As he rounded the corner at the end of the street, I was just a couple feet away from him. I watched as he walked, his legs weren't particularly long, but his pace was very fast and all business. He held one coffee in his hand and a bag, I tried making out what was in it and I could just barely...

Suddenly he stopped with a groan and whipped around. I didn't realize he had paused until I ran into him.

"Oh, sorry." I said quickly, as my stomach did a little flip of embarrassment. Fortunately, nothing spilled or fell, and after I made sure that, I looked up to meet his eyes.

"It's okay, I turned really suddenly. I just realized I forgot to grab my change." He explained, a tight smile made him look angry. Was he baring his teeth at me?