Chapter Seven

"What do you mean you can't take me?" Lorna asked Piper over the phone.

"I'm sorry. My car broke down."

"How am I meant to see Nicky now?"

"I guess it will be payback, for when she bailed on you."

"You know that wasn't her fault."

"Look i'm sorry. You could always ask Vinny." Could she? Lorna said goodbye and hung up. It's not like it would mean anything. They were friends and it meant that she would be able to see Nicky. That was all that mattered right?

Lorna: Hey Vinny. I hope you don't mind me messaging you but I have a favor I really need to ask you.

She pressed send on the text and waited a few seconds until he replied. He was always so quick at replying to messages, she thought.

Vinny: It's no problem at all. What can I do for you?

Lorna: I wouldn't ask you if I had another choice but I was wondering if you could take me to see Nicky. Piper's car broke down so she can't and I don't really have anyone else that I can ask.

Vinny: Sure. I'll be over to pick you up in ten?

Lorna: Thank you so much.

Lorna put her phone down on the side and sat anxiously waiting for him to come. They had been out a couple of times since that night in the restaurant and they had been getting along well. Lorna had told him everything that had gone on with Nicky and he was really good about it. Just friends right?

Lorna got into Vinny's small green car. He had, had that car for years, since before they broke up.

"So you and Nicky are good then?" he asked her as they stopped at a traffic light.

"Yeah. She explained why she didn't come."

"Look Lorna it's none of my business to poke around but are you sure this relationship is good for you?" Lorna couldn't believe that he had just asked her that. First her friends then her ex boyfriend. Lorna couldn't understand why none of them liked Nicky. She always treated her so well.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she's in prison. She can't look after you while she's in there. And the fact that she's in prison must mean that she's done something bad."

"Nicky didn't hurt anyone." Lorna tried her hardest to defend Nicky.

"I'm not saying that she is a bad person Lorna, i'm just saying that she can't do anything for you in there. You can't have a proper relationship with her there." Lorna had really had enough of his judgment.

"You don't know anything about her, or my relationship with her. She is a good person and a good girlfriend. She had her problems, yes, but shes the only one I want. And at least shes not cheating on me." Lorna raised her eyebrow as she said the last bit, a trick she had picked up from Nicky. They drove in silence for the rest of the journey.

00000

"Say that again?" questioned Nicky as she poured herself and Lorna a mug of coffee. They had been living together for three months before Lorna suggested they do something that completely left Nicky out of her comfort zone.

"I want you to meet my parents."  Lorna took the mug and took one big gulp before putting it back down on the side and taking a seat next to Nicky on a stool in front of the kitchen island. 

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?"

"Well for starters, their Catholic, and i'm Jewish."