Part eight

I had a shabby plan to sneak into Christian's house, but it was a plan anyway. Patty and Magnolia were having some bikini dog wash, and almost the whole school was invited, and I would use that to break into Christian's house.

I had absolutely no intention of going, until lunch when Brick who was throwing his apple core into the bin turned and pleaded me to go. We had became friends slowly, but I knew it was out of pity. 

Brick gave me a sad look when I shook my head and insisted that no one wanted me there, before he unziped his large school bag.

"This dog will be there."

"Oh my gosh." My eyes widened and a grin spread across my face as he held up a cute little dog, and at that moment, he had convinced me.

---

"Aren't you going to the bikini dog wash?" I leaned over and drummed my fingers against the smooth counter. I had dressed up in black clothes, and a small brown bag slung over my back.

Donald sighed,"Sis, the shop hasn't been doing well lately. I have to man it if any customers come." He had dark circles under his eyes, and the frown looked like it had taken a permanent residence on his face.

A awful feeling of sorry washed over me. My family had been working for quite a while now, but that didn't mean business was doing well, or money was coming in on a regular basis. I knew Donald had taken up two more jobs, but it was still difficult to get food onto the table.

"Look, Choi. Go to the dog wash and have fun. I have a friend who can take care of the shop."

He looked up eagerly,"Really?"

I nodded, and he ran to his room excitedly to change.

I wish that I could be a better sister for him. Not someone who breaks and enters, or hides in the toilet to cry when no one picks me for the team. Not someone who always worries about money but does nothing about it. Not this wreck.

I dig out my phone from the bag and punch some numbers in. "Hey, Jerry? I need you to man the shop while I have some things to do."

Then, after a moment's hesitation, I added,"Can you bring a lockpick?"

---

He didn't. I had to get in through the windows, and running like a criminal. Well, I was one now.

His house was huge, and his parents weren't home, which was a huge relief. As I bent my body and crawled my way through the confining bars, my ratty shirt caught onto the metal.

"Shit!" I cursed and yanked the sleeve away, causing it to tear. Oh brilliant.

I fell ungracefully onto the floor. Wiping the dust away from my clothes, I glanced around quickly, and began to open drawers at random. I had no clue what I was searching for, just that I knew it had to be something Christian had a hold over Brick in.

Then it struck me. The photos. Christian had those photos that would ruin Brick's life, definitely. I had destroyed mine, but what if he was keeping spares? I yanked open the closet, and a plastic box fell out, along with the pictures. Bingo.

I shoved the whole thing inside my bag, and made my way out of the door.

Breaking into people's house was finished. Now it was time to look at cute dogs.