Part ten

Magnolia was furious. She had took the biggest hit from the photos, and came into the store screaming, her hair in curlers and still wearing bunny slippers.

In school, Donald and her had built a strange sort of friendship in which she hooked him up with her friends and he gave her free diet cokes. Now the store was usually her to go place if she wanted to rant, or show off. She pulled up in her fancy car and I tried not to look too jealously at it.

"What's up, Mag?" I cringed at how casually Donald called her name. She slammed her phone onto the counter and I turned to look away. The screen showed the photo, and I fought the urge to swipe it off the table and into the bin nearby.

"How could she? And I thought he loved me!" She waved her hands vigorously, and I almost choked on my saliva. Love? Since when did she believe Brick loved her? Oh right, they used to be a couple. I could never remember these things anymore, when I believed no one mattered to me except Choi, whom I was overprotective of.

As Magnolia stomped over to the ice machine, she knocked over my small brown bag, and the contents spilled onto the floor.

"Oh god, I am so sorry, Luna." I went on my knees and shoved the junk back inside, while she busied herself with snooping through my bag.

"There's no million bucks in there, don't worry." I said, snatching the bag away from her. Magnolia blinked innoncently, before turning to Donald.

"Anyway, Choi, I heard it didn't go well between you and Dixie." He blushed, and her smile spread wider across her face.

"Don't worry, I know she's a crazy bitch."

Well, one thing we can all agree on.

"So I arranged a double date for you, with this girl who is new in town? I think you'll like her, she's very pretty. I was thinking my boyfriend and I could get to know her better." And I couldn't do anything but watch as Donald's eyes grew to the size of saucers, and straightened up.

"Tonight! At the Taco shop." She turned on her heels, and to my horror, inside her jean pocket, the corner of a photo poked out, one that could reveal everything and ruin Brick's life.