Courage

That night at dinner I approached the three guys on our council. "Hey, Thad, David, and Wes?" I addressed them as I approached the table where they sat with five other upperclassmen.

Wes stopped talking and looked to me with a smile. "Yeah, Blaine. What's up?"

I explained about Kurt and asked if we should hold a meeting.

The boys looked to each other. Thad spoke, "According to tradition, yes, we will need to speak with this Kurt. However, I have to go home after school tomorrow for personal purposes so I'm afraid it won't work out tomorrow, for me."

David whispered something to them and then to me, "But this discussion can be held as long as the majority of the council is present. Wes and I will be here so let's still plan on it."

I smiled. I was going to see Kurt again! "Okay, thanks."

I was about to turn away when Wes stopped me. "Oh and Blaine?"

"Yes?" I turned back to them.

"Why don't you preorder four lattes from the Lima Bean for tomorrow's meeting. It's always good to be hospitable during these kinds of things."

I nodded and returned to where I had been sitting between Jeff and Jon. Happily I finished off Dalton's Famous Chocolate Cake before humming my way back to my dorm.

•_•

Exactly at 4:45 I stood in front of the entrance doors. Kurt wasn't there yet. I had texted him to make sure he was coming and he had replied about some glee club assignment he was working on, a girls versus boys competition. He would be late. At 4:57 an unfamiliar car pulled into the parking lot and Kurt stepped out.

As he approached me, I noticed he wore all black. His black dress coat had a faint white pattern on it and under it was a black dress shirt and tie. He waved weakly. "Hi." Then he fidgeted with his coat hem and glanced around Dalton's expansive front courtyard.

I smiled and patted him on the shoulder. "Hey. Relax, Kurt. We're not going to harp on you. This is not what you think." Kurt just nodded, he looked beyond nervous. "Follow me." I told him. I wanted to take his hand, but thought otherwise. I probably scared him when I had taken his hand yesterday, unannounced.

So I led him up some stairs and down a hallway, not saying much. It was quite the awkward walk. In the lounge that Wes and David had chosen for our meeting they were already seated in chairs and sipping on the coffee I had ordered.

I pulled out the chair that faced the other three chairs. "Here, have a seat." I told Kurt.

Kurt took the seat and sat down, carefully clasping his hands in his lap. "Thanks."

I went around the table and seated myself between the seniors. I pushed one of the coffee cups across the table. "Latte?"

"Thank you." Kurt whispered.

I looked to my senior friends. "This is Wes and David."

"It's very civilized for you to invite me for coffee before you beat me up for spying." Kurt started. The sentence was wisely worded and sounded well rehearsed, still, it made my heart thump in cut time.

"We are not going to beat you up." Wes assured Kurt.

David added, "You were such a terrible spy we thought it was sort of... endearing."

I took a sip of my coffee and set it back down before saying the conclusion I had come to that morning during breakfast. "Which made me think that spying on us wasn't the real reason you came." I nodded to Kurt, sure that what I said was correct.