Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                                           The wolf

          I never thought I’d see a wolf so close up.

          Gasping, I stood locked in place. It didn’t seem possible to take my eyes away from the beautiful creature before me. Its golden eyes kept me in a trance. The wolf took a step towards me and let out a soft whimper. My heart was beating madly in my chest from both excitement and adrenaline.

          Not knowing why, I reached towards it with my right hand. I closed my eyes, half expecting to get bit. To my surprise, my hand reached soft fur. I opened my eyes, coming face to face with the wolf. Its ears were layed back and its golden eyes were half opened as I ran my hand through its soft gray fur.

          I remembered then, that I had seen someone. Looking around, I scanned the woods around me. Aside from the occasional bird and squirrel, there was no one to be found. I could have swore I saw someone.

          Shaking the thought from my mind, I looked down at the wolf. This time it was fully alert. Its ears were perked and its eyes stared deeply at the woods behind me. A howl was heard from within the surrounding trees. The wolf whined and looked from me to the woods and back again. I smiled sadly, not wanting that moment to end. I ran my hand through its coat one last time. “Go on. Go to your family,” I said quietly so I wouldn’t scare it. The wolf gave my hand a lick before running past me into the trees. It gave one last glance over its shoulder before disappearing into the under brush.

          I stood there for a long time, staring in the direction the wolf had gone. I thought about following, but decided against it. It didn’t seem like a good idea to find myself surrounded by a pack of wolves when it was getting dark.

          That last part snapped me back to reality. It was getting dark and I needed to get home before I stumbled upon another creature, like a bear or something. Jewels seemed to agree as she practically dragged me all the way home.

          That night I felt different. I didn’t know how, I just did. It kind of felt like something deep inside of me had been unlocked, like a piece that I had been missing was found. I stared out my window that night and gazed out at the moon. It was almost full, but not quite. It would be completely full on my sixteenth birthday. My eye lips became heavy and soon I was in a deep sleep.