Chapter 3

Chapter 3

                               Enough Time

I dreamed of the wolf that night. I dreamed that I was a wolf too and that I ran with the pack. I didn’t want the dream to ever end, but it did anyways.

The next day was uneventful. I had gone back to the woods, hoping I’d see the wolf again, but it was nowhere to be found to my dismay.  I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I saw the massive gray wolf and its golden eyes every time I closed my eyes. I wanted to see it again, I had to see it again, or I’d lose my mind.

Beep. Beep. Beep. I moaned and slapped at my alarm clock. After a few tries, I finally hit the right button and sighed a sigh of relief. It was a Saturday. There wasn’t any school, so why did I have my alarm set? I thought for a moment and smiled to myself when I realized what day it was. Throwing the covers back, I beamed with joy. I was finally sixteen! Every other birthday I never felt any different, but somehow I felt more alive that year. I felt stronger and filled with energy.

I turned on my radio and danced around my room, as I got dressed. Jewels yipped and danced around me, not knowing what I was so excited for.

After throwing on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and a floral top, I went into the bathroom to do my daily routine. I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My chestnut brown hair fell in waves a little past my shoulders and my deep brown eyes stared back at me. My eyes weren’t entirely brown though; they had flecks of green mixed in them. I guessed I had received them from my father. My mother had blue eyes the color of sapphires. I had always envied her for her eyes. My hair color, however, I had know idea who I received it from. My mother was always dying her hair different colors, so I had no idea what her natural hair color was, and I’d never seem pictures of my father, so I didn’t know what his hair color was. My mom’s hair was wavy the way mine was though, so I knew I received that trait from her.

Deciding on leaving my hair the way it was and putting on a touch of eye shadow, I wandered into the kitchen. I stopped in my tracks the moment I stepped into the kitchen. Were those? No, It couldn’t be. Could it? I walked closer to the table. Yes! It really was pancakes! I stood in utter disbelief. My mother hadn’t made me breakfast, let alone pancakes, since I was eight. A sticky note was stuck to the plate. I picked it up and read it.

Dear Aslynn,

Happy birthday! Sorry I can’t be there right now. I had to go to work early this morning. I’ll be back at about 3:00. I love you! Xoxo.

                                                                            -Mom

First, the pancakes. Now this? What happened to the mom I knew? Not that I didn’t like it or anything.

I glanced at the clock above the stove. 9:27. I had enough time to eat and go for a walk.