Chapter 1

I was a simple lumberjack outside the town of Arendelle. I lived in a cabin with my wife, Ingrid, for the longest time- 10 years, eleven months and twenty six days. Those were the good days. But then, it all ended

And the great days began. We were blessed with a beautiful baby girl who I loved more than anything else in the world. She had her mother's big blue eyes and my curly red hair. She meant the world to me. Her name was Gretel.

That perfect life lasted about another year. In fact, I believe it was the day after my daughter's birthday, when my life changed for the second time. I was out late chopping trees to fill that days quota when I heard howling coming from the direction of my home.

There were wolves in the woods that had a tendency to attack human settlements. Some of the people in the town said they were demons who took the shape of wolves to torture human souls. I never believed the rumors, but knew they weren't like ordinary wolves.

I ran home as fast as I could and as I came closer to it, I began to see a bright orange light clouded in gray smoke near my house. I ran faster and faster until I arrived at my home. Or at least, the charred remains of it. I quickly ran inside, ignoring the intense heat. I looked around and tried to focus on any sound that might have been one of my dear family members. I listened after what seemed like the longest time, I heard a small wail of a child, my beloved Gretel. I quickly ran to where the sound came from. It was her room, but the door was blocked by pieces of the ceiling.

I was fairly strong for a man my age, but I as I attempted to lift the smoldering beams of wood, I coughed from all of the smoke in air. I had to do something. I yelled as loud as my smoke-filled lungs would allow me, "INGRID!" I waited a while and after a few seconds that felt like hours, I heard from inside of Gretel's room, "In hear Ivan!" It was only the faintest sound, but a man can hear his wife's cry from miles away.

As soon as I heard the call, a burst of adrenaline ran through me and I charged through through the barricaded door and saw a terrible sight.

Ingrid was on the floor, lying in a pool of blood that seemed to be coming from her back. But that wasn't the worst part. Cradled in her arms was my sweet, sweet daughter, Gretel, her eyes closed and unmoving.

I looked Ingrid in the eyes. They filled with tears that were streaking down her face. I began bawling next to her, hugging her and the child.

"Ingrid, we must take you and Gretel to a doctor. We need to-"

"No Ivan," she replied, holding back a sob, "you need to go. It is too late for me and the child. Please leave and save yourself."

There was no use arguing. She grabbed my hand and placed it on her face. I did the same with hers. She smiled at me, though her eyes looked distant. "I love you," she whispered and her body went limp. She was dead.

I sat for a minute, hugging their dead bodies until I decided to take Ingrid's advice and leave. If I stayed the Oaken name would die with me.

I left Ingrid and carried Gretel with me. I would honor them both, but couldn't carry them both. I ran out the door and left the house just as the structure toppled to the ground.

I would have sat there outside the remnants of my home bawling my eyes out, but there was growling coming from behind me. I turned around and saw a million pairs of glowing red eyes from in the woods.

I ran to my sled and drove to town as fast as I could. And i stopped about halfway there to burry my daughter and pay homage to my wife.