Sunday, June 30th

Song: Kaleidoscope

By: The Script

------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up the next morning, I had three missed calls from my mother. Usually, she's so busy running between jobs she doesn't even have time to take her phone out of her pocket.

I immediately sat up in bed and called her back.

"Hello?" I'll admit, I was a bit relieved to hear her voice.

"Hi mom, what's up?" I put the phone on speaker so I could get ready while I talked.

"Oh. Hi. Listen, your aunt won't stop calling me about some boy. Would you tell me whats going on? I'm so busy, I don't have time for this."

"Yeah, his name is Justin. He's a friend of the family. Aunt Marcy doesn't want me to date him because...actually I don't know why. But listen, I like him a lot. I really do. And I don't wanna lose him, you know? Could you talk to her for me? Let her know it's okay?"

She sighed into the phone. "Robert, I don't have time for this shit. Just tell her I said it was fine. I really don't care who you see."

"I don't think she wants to hear it from me I th-"

"Would you shut up? Tell the damn woman that I don't care. I don't give a flying fuck who you give yourself to. Just don't come crying to me when he breaks your damn heart. Bye."

And she hung up.

I put my head in my hands. I was well prepared for that response. It still sucked to hear it.

I sighed, the way she always did, and went out to the kitchen to find something for breakfast.

I ran into Mary in the hallway.

"Hey, morning Mary," I said. She started walking with me, keeping quiet and acting strange.

When we both sat down, I finally said, "all right. What's up?"

She looked at her hands before saying, "I..sorta overheard your conversation with your mom." She sounded guilty.

"Oh? What's the matter then?"

"What do you mean, 'what's the matter?' She was so mean to you. I feel bad for eavesdropping."

"Mary, it's okay. She's just like that cause she's stressed out. She works all the time, no big deal."

"Well, I mean...my mom's strict and stuff but...She's never cursed at me or anything.."

I rolled my eyes. "Like I said, no big deal."

She shrugged and before she could say anything else I interrupted her.

"I thought you said shrugging is unattractive?"

She shrugged again. "It is."

For a second I thought she was serious, but then she laughed and I smiled too.

I couldn't help but think of what she had said. "She's never cursed at me or anything..."

Was that wrong? Were parents not supposed to swear like that? I didn't know.

"Whatever," I said with my mouth full of Cheerios. "What are we doing today?"

Mary stood up and said, "I'm gonna go for a run. I'll see you later, though?"

I nodded. "Okay, see you then." As I took another spoonful of cereal I realized Mary hadn't eaten anything for breakfast. At least, not with me like she usually did.