All In

It wasn't supposed to be this way. You weren't supposed to fall for him. He wasn't supposed to fall for you. That's not how it worked in your world. He was the rich boy from the other side of the city. You lived downtown in a crappy apartment. He wore nice suits and drove a nice car. You wore hand me downs and rode the city bus.  You two lived in in completely separate worlds, but somehow your heart found his.

You met at a cafe, where you worked. He came in, dressed in a suit with his tie undone and messy hair. You could tell he had been drinking.

He asked for a coffee without looking up. You started to judge him. He had a nice watch, nice shoes and probably a load of cash in his wallet that stuck out from his pants pocket. When Tom finally looked up, you took his breath away. He thought for sure he was dreaming.

One conversation later he scored your number and a date. You didn't think anything would come from it, but damn you were so wrong. A couple dates later and you were falling fast. Nervous glances and hesitant kisses turned into something more, something worthy.

And then all hell broke loose.

He started asking about your family. You had met his and they loved you, but your parents were a different story. You knew they'd judge him. He was a pretty rich boy who never knew what struggling felt like. They wouldn't except him.

Tom sat at the same spot he sat in when he first met you. You were behind the counter wiping down the spilt coffee.

“C’mon why can't I just meet them.” Tom whined.

You groaned. “I told you their busy working.” You lied.

Your dad was an alcoholic who was never home and your mom was a prostitute who always brought her business home. The only thing that's keeping you from running was the unconditional love you had for your family, no matter how fucked up. Family is still family in your eyes.

“I can stop by tonight.” Tom suggested, raising his eyebrows at you.

You bit the inside of your cheek. “I'm sorry but no.” You hated lying to him, but he couldn't meet them.

They wouldn't except him, and he sure as hell would leave if they caught sight of them.

Tom sighed angrily. “Are you embarrassed of me?”

You scoffed. “Are you kidding?”

He rolled his eyes. “Then what the hell is it?” He snapped.

You grunted, biting down on your lip. “I just can't right now okay?” You tried to make him understand.

Tom paused, taking in a deep breath. “Do you love me?”

You sighed, bringing your hand to his face. “Of course I do.”

Instead of leaning into your hand like he always did, he turned away. “Then why are you hiding me?” He begged.

“I need to know if your all in.”

You didn't reply. You didn't know how to.

Tom rolled his eyes, sighing heavily before getting up from his seat.  “Fine, I'll see you later.”

You watched him walk out the cafe, a disappointed look on his face. Your heart ached. You wanted him to know your whole world so much, but unfortunately your whole world is currently crashing and burning to the ground.

You ran your hands over your face, sighing. You wished things could be different.

~~~

Once you got off of work, you rode the bus home, like you normally do. You were planning on running home for a quick shower and then taking a cab to Tom's place. Your dad was probably passed out in an alleyway somewhere and your mom was on some corner.