The Flowers

Rhay sat in her room, looking down at the journal in her hands.  She hadn't permitted anyone, other than Mary and Jane, in her room since the incident a week ago in the exam room.  God her face still blushed when she thought about what happened.  Her body had been of fire when Kade touched her, kissed her, and for the first time she was actually looking forward to having a male take her vein.  But when her father saw what she and Kade were doing, he got angry and she couldn't understand why.  Perhaps she wasn't supposed to let him take her vein, since she wasn't a glymera, she thought.

She could still picture Rhage lunging at Kade, grabbing him around the neck and shoving him to the far wall, knocking glass vials and medical equipement off the counter.  Kade grabbed Rhage's wrists wrestling his hands away from his neck, Rhage's grip causing Kade's face to quickly turn red and slowly to blue.  He kept screaming over and over, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" Jane had rushing in but she couldn't pull Rhage away.  V joined in quickly and kicked Rhage in the one place guaranteed to make his grip falter.  While V was restraining Rhage with Kade's help, Jane grabbed Rhay's wrist and ran with her back to her room. 

The males were still shouting, Jane pulling out her cell and calling for Quinn and Blay to get down to the medical area.  Jane brought Rhay back to her room and asked her what happened.  Rhay stayed quiet, embarrassed, knowing she must have done something wrong.  Murhder had always drank from her wrist, never her neck.  Was it forbidden for unmated males and females to take from the neck? Jane continued to push her with questions, but it became evident quickly that Rhay wouldn't budge. 

Mary and Jane had come by once a night, eventually stopping the questions, and sat with her while she relearned how to read and write.  She figured they must have learned the story from Rhage and Kade.  Her father had tried to stop by to see her but the moment he was at her door, Rhay would hide herself in large walk-in closet, unwilling to face him after the catastophe.  She ignored his knocking at the door to her room, insistent at first, then later becoming softer, more mild.  After the first three nights he stopped knocking.  Rhay buried herself into relearning how to read and write to distract herself from her self imposed isolation.  She was so used to being alone, and at least here she had more to do.

 Reading was coming back rather easily, but writing was still difficult.  She found it hard to remember the specific sequence of letters that would put an ease to her whirling mind.  Rhay put the pencil to the paper and started to write. 

August 12th, 2105.

I am not sure what to say.  The note said to write my memories and stories.  I find it hard to think of the words I want to write down.  I think about him a lot.  I got him in trouble with father.  Father was so angry.  I locked myself in my room so I won't get him in trouble again.  That is all I am, mahmen told me.  Trouble. 

Rhaylynn stopped as she reviewed her words, slowly and carefully written.  They weren't much, and the story she was telling wasn't happy or particularly interesting, but she was writing it.  She smiled to herself and started again.

Mary is nice.  She does not get angry like father.  That is why she is good for him.  Jane is nice too.  She brings me food.  She makes sure I am not sick. They are very nice to me.  I like having people be nice to me. 

Rhay stopped writing for a moment when she caught his scent.  Every day it came quickly and left just as fast, only when the sun first set, and once more when it started to rise.  Once she ventured to her door and opened it just a crack and peaked out, but he wasn't there.  The scent made her ache.  She wanted so badly to run to him and apologize.  She wanted to wrap her arms around him and breathe his spiced scent in deep and memorize it.  She knew better than to do what she did with the prince.  He was noble born, and she lived in a hole in the dirt.