Chapter Two

Niro

These games are going to be different.

This year, the Council has changed almost every rule that has ever been. Instead of every mage fighting solo, they are granted the opportunity to form teams so that they each stand a better chance of earning a position on the Council and a permanent room in the Court of Mages.

If only my father would let me compete, then all of the excitement would be mine to enjoy also.

My family and I were siting around our dining room table; my mother at one end, my father on the other and my elder sister, Nancy, across from me. From the outside, it would have seemed like a normal family dinner; steamed vegetables were laying on an untouched plate at the corner of the table, the mashed potatoes were creamed into a large bowl on the other corner and the roasted chicken filled the room with a delicious aroma. From the outside, it seemed like we were all getting along, casually throwing gentle banter between one another.

Only, we weren't getting along.

And the banter wasn't gentle.

"C'mon!" I cried, throwing my arms in the air as I leaned back in my chair. "Just let me compete!" My father and I had been arguing about the subject ever since I turned twelve, when he had become head of the Council.

"I said no." He growled, his long white beard and hair making him look much wiser than he actually was. "End of discussion."

"But why-"

"Enough!" He yelled, pounding his fist against the wooden table, making the chicken jump. "No son of mine needs to compete in a competition for a spot on my council. It is utterly unnecessary." I shook my head, not believing the nepotistic things coming out of his mouth. I glanced at my mother, who was ignoring the rest of us by holding her head down and focusing on her meal.

"You're letting Nancy compete again." I whined, not my smartest move considering the look of death that she sent me. Sorry, I mouthed at her. She responded by shaking her head and copying our mother.

"Yes, well-" He had no reply and he knew it. Immediately we engaged ourselves in a heated staring contest, his storm grey ones focused on my chocolate brown ones.

"Niro has a point Ekaitz." My mother said in a commanding voice, her expression was as stern as I had ever seen it. "And besides, if you plan on having him be your successor, he must learn to protect himself and the realms." The table was increasing in tension, and I felt the hair on the back of my neck prickle and rise.

Wait.

That wasn't from tension.

Whirling around to look at my father, he was surrounded by a black and white aura, his normally storm grey eyes were glowing bright white, like lightening. His white beard was fanning out around him. The Magique of Ekaitz crackled maliciously, and all of the light in the room was being drawn to the aura, and my father started to thunder.

"Fauna." He boomed, gripping his hands at the end of the table. "This is not your decision." This didn't faze my mother at all, she just simply ate a spoonful of mashed potatoes.

"No magique at the dinner table Ekaitz." My mother is such a badass, I thought to myself as I cut into the roast.

The rest of the meal went by without events, and Nancy and I waited impatiently until we were excused. Our chairs made a scraping noise against the stone floor as we stood, making our way down the hall. We were standing outside of the separate doors to our bedchambers when she turned to me.

"Are you sure about this?" She asked in a small voice, her black hair falling down her back in curls and her dark eyes were piercing my soul. "Is this absolutely what you want?"

"Of course it is." I tell her, astounded that she would even think otherwise. "I've wanted this since I was four years old."

"You haven't seen it Niro." She says exasperatingly, reaching out her hands to rest on my shoulders. "You don't know how difficult it is. How terrifying it is."

"But you didn't lose." Her eyes fogged over with a distant memory.

"I didn't win either."

* * *

I was standing at the window of my bedchamber; watching the entrance way as mages from all over the realms arrived here at Court. Many were competitors from the years before; Dugard of the Second Realm appeared with a slight maiden carrying a trunk full of his belongings. Drugard was a complete animal, a master of Self Transfiguration; a breed of Magique that allows the wielding mage to transform into any beast they can think of. He came in second last year, a simple spell short of winning.

Feroz of the First Realm came with his teenaged son, again. His son, Ferez, was the reason my father was so hesitant on letting me fight, even though he and I possess the same powers, his are far more developed.

They call him the Prince of Darkness.

More mages came and went, none catching my attention that much, until a rickety carriage came tumbling in through the gates. The driver threw two girls out of the vehicle and spun and drove away. One of the girl, the one with long red hair, flipped him off and turned to her friend, a girl with long blonde hair.

Between the two of them, they travelled quite lightly; Blondie had only a medium sized trunk and Red only had a large book.

Weird.

The two of them began to make their way inside, and my eyes compulsively followed them. Right before they reached the busy walkway, Red held her arm out in front of the other. Her head began to turn in all directions, as if she was searching for something... or someone. She looked upwards and started to scan the building; her eyes stopping when they found mine.