prologue

prologue:
all i really want to do

 Florence Morrison stood on platform 9 3/4, staring out at the crowd. She clutched her wand under her robes and nervously smiled at the families who passed her. She was just barely keeping her breakfast down, and oddly enough, she couldn't remember where the time went.

"Do you want to miss the train?" Said the girl that was standing next to her. It wasn't a question, and Florence knew it.

She looked at her and shrugged.

"Well I hope you don't," Michelle Morrison answered earnestly. "You'll be great."

Florence gave her a small smile. There was a pause as they both looked out to the crowd watching as their father made his way back to where they stood.

"Alright, your trunk is all loaded," He stated, squeezing her shoulder.

"Thanks," she mumbled looking at the train and sighing.

"You're going to do great, kid," He said bringing her in for a hug. He always seemed to know how to calm her down.

"If you say so, dad."

She walked to the train swallowing back the anxiety that was clawing it's way up her throat. She looked back into the crowd as she boarded the train and smiled for a brief moment, "I'll be fine." She mumbled to herself.

At that very moment, someone crashed into her, and they tumbled onto the train. Great.

She opened her eyes in a daze and stared at the floor inches from her nose. She sat up and looked at the boy who squinted down at her.

"Sorry, didn't see you there." He announced steadying himself, offering her a hand.

"What, was that supposed to be a short joke?" She asked.

"A blind joke." He answered pointing to the glasses on the floor.

You picked them up and examined the little cracks in the lenses. "They're broken," she stated meeting his gaze.

"S'alright. You'll just have to be my guide."

She sighed and handed the glasses to him. Florence didn't know exactly how they were broken, but she did feel somewhat responsible. He held onto her arm as she trudged down the middle of the train searching for an empty compartment.

"Here we go," Florence spoke looking into the empty room. She opened the door and settled onto the bench. She heard a thump at the door and saw the boy rubbing his head.

She shook her head and scooted over to slide the door open for him.

"Thanks," he said sliding in next to her. "I really can't see you know."

"Now I do." She rolled her eyes but smiled at him anyway.

They looked at each other and burst into laughter, Florence hadn't laughed like that in a long time. She was relieved that she had found someone - or instead that he had bumped into her - to be friends with.

They calmed down after a while, and he looked over to her with nice sort of smile on his face, "We never introduced ourselves."

"Morrison," she said through a giggle. " Florence Morrison."

"Isn't your father an auror?"

"Yeah," she said, nodding.

"That's really cool," he said, eyes sparkling with excitement. "I'm James Potter by the way."