Chapter 5

Dresden and the Custodian stepped out of the abode to find Mohon standing guard in the center of the garden, his hackles up and the mane of fur around his neck standing on end. The garden's residents were also in a tizz. Some had completely uprooted, backing up tightly against the fence opposite the garden entrance, unable to go further (the Custodian had put in the fence after receiving a number of complaints from the Hepsfolk about his meandering specimens). The large tree at the entrance, the one with all the leafy eyes, had raised every branch into the air and was leaning back as far as possible from the figure at the gate, as if it were trying to fly away.

                But it was the person at the gate that now commanded their attention, and she was a sight to behold. The girl there was no taller than Dresden, and she stood motionless, looking up at the sky with an expression of astonishment. Her attire was similar to what the stranger inside the house wore: tight-fitting black clothing that covered her from the neck down, and this fact made the Custodian very worried. However, unlike the boy, she was wearing footwear, boots – also black – that went up to her shins, and as the Custodian stared at her, he noticed another significant difference: her clothing appeared to be firmer, more akin to the armor worn by the Hepsguard (perhaps it made of some type of glossy or polished leather), with seams that ran in intricate patterns along the front and down the sides.

                "Hail, friend," the Custodian called, raising one hand in greeting. He did not, however, move toward the gate.

                The girl's head snapped back down, and she looked over at the Custodian and Dresden. It was at this point they noticed how astoundingly beautiful she was. Her dark-skinned face was perfectly pretty, and her black hair was neatly braided against her head and pulled back into a tight bun. Her almond-shaped eyes were wide-spaced and set above high cheekbones, and their pale green color – visible to the pair at the doorway even though she was more than a dozen yards away – contrasted brilliantly with her skin. She also seemed to be unfazed by Mohon's growls, and didn't appear to pay the garden any heed. And, despite the Custodian's initial fear, she evinced no sign of menace whatsoever.

                "I am Aris," the Custodian continued, "Mage of the Realm, Protector of the Sovereign Lands of the Hepstraad, and sole Custodian of the Robe of God." He paused to clear his throat loudly. "If you come in peace, you are welcome here. If you come with ill intent, then go your way, and do not return."

                The girl raised her right hand, and hesitated. "I am come in peace," she called back. Although her syntax was unusual, she pronounced the words perfectly.

                "What is your name?" the Custodian asked.

                "I am... name," she replied, and hesitated. Then she said, "Trijgorinarinid."

                "Custodian, she speaks the language of the boy!" Dresden said.

                "So it seems," the Custodian said. "See to Mohon, young Dresden, but keep your guard up."

                Dresden walked over to the katarn, who continued to growl audibly. "Mohon, it is fine," Dresden said. "She's just a girl."

                Mohon stopped his growling, and what he woofed next made the Custodian's blood run cold: "Girl. Power."

                The girl, on the other hand, burst out laughing.

"Abstrilufanagun, 'girl power'!" she said, and grinned. She bowed her head once. "Come in peace," she said, and opened the garden gate. Closed it gently behind her. Then she walked calmly up to Dresden and Mohon with one hand held out in front of her, palm up. "Come in peace," she repeated.