Inside the Mind Part I

I woke with a slight gasp, sitting up so that I could breathe better. I looked around on the bed and saw that the corner of the bedspread had been pulled back on the side opposite of me, as if somebody had gotten out of bed, recently too judging by the impression still left on the mattress which looked like, they had curled up to me whilst I was asleep.

Rubbing the back of my neck in confusion I looked to my nightstand to check the time and saw it said 12:34.

Next to it was a picture of me smiling with quite the pretty girl kissing my cheek with mountains in the background. Based upon the expression on my face I figured she must have snuck that kiss in last minute.

"Cute." I thought.

I sat up on the corner of my bed and put my feet down on the cold wooden floor, feeling the warm sunlight coming through the window while watching the dust particles float about in the air. I sighed and put my face into my palms, running my hands down my face as if to rub off the drowsiness from just waking up.

"I am so not a morning person." I mumbled to myself while standing up and looked down at my left hand noticing a small ring upon my finger.

"Oh hello there," I said smiling down at it, "and where's your other half then hmm?"

It was then that I looked across the bed to the nightstand across from where I was standing and saw a picture of myself with the same girl in my picture standing behind me, her arms wrapped around my waist, the both of us laughing.

"Well that's adorable." I thought.

Looking around the room I saw Polaroid pictures hanging all over the walls, nature mostly- the usual things, flowers, trees, the occasional park bench with fresh fallen leaves behind it. Also hanging were some paintings, scattered about the walls with a small easel in the corner of the room that had a canvas but whatever was being painted clearly wasn't finished yet.

"Must be just the outline" I thought to myself quietly.

I shuffled over to the window and looked out and saw pure white snow all over the ground, with small frost trails on the windows edges. I looked down noticing I wasn't wearing anything but my boxers and thought, "I best put some clothes on."

Rummaging through my drawer I found a silk robe and pulled it over my shoulders, quickly tying the belt. I walked downstairs to see the girl from the pictures sitting on the couch with a checkered blanket over her with her tiny feet kicked up over the armrest. She looked up as she heard me coming downstairs and excitedly hopped up and hugged me, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Well hello sleepy head. Thought you might sleep the day away; you've been in bed so long." She said smiling before kissing me softly. She let her hands trail from my chest to my hands and held them loosely. "C'mon you must be hungry."

She led me into the kitchen and I trailed along behind her, muttering a quiet "I'm not really in the mood to eat."

Apparent that she had heard me, she turned around and looked up at me before jumping onto the marble counter so that she could be eye-level with me. While running her soft, small hand down my cheek to my shoulder, I noticed a small ring on her finger.

"There's the other half." I thought to myself happily, smiling slightly. She looked into my eyes and continued rubbing my shoulder.

"Nightmares again wasn't it?" She said quietly.

"Yeah. Again it's just-" I began until she rolled her eyes, then cut me off.

"Babe it's okay. Really. I'm not going anywhere. I understand." She reached to her right and grabbed a small pill bottle, opened it, and held out a pill.