A moment of happiness

"Listen to this! Chuck's a Maltese!" Mondo exclaimed as he held up the book about dog breeds. "A Maltese, huh?" Daiya asked as he dressed himself up. "Yeah! Apparently they like company and are pretty playful!"

It was Daiya's first day-off in ages and he had promised Mondo they'd take Chuck to the vet. Daiya had told Mondo that he'd earned enough money to pay for the vet, but in fact he hadn't. He had loaned some money from a friend of his, promising to pay it back as soon as he could.

"Now c'mon. We gotta hurry so we can pay miss Kotoha a visit too." Daiya opened the door for Mondo who held Chuck in his arms. They hadn't bought a harness for Chuck yet. "We gotta go by foot, I can't drive you and Chuck."

Daiya was silent the entire way they walked over to the vet. He was starting to fear that Chuck already belonged to someone else. They had both grown very fond of the fluffy ball of sunshine. It would break his heart to see Mondo have to part with the dog. Daiya felt like it had been destiny that Mondo found Chuck, just a while after Daiya had promised to get his little brother one.

"Chuck is officially ours!" Mondo was jumping around, holding Chuck in the air like it was a little baby. "I guess he is." Daiya smiled as he looked at his little brother who looked like a kid on Christmas, if possible, even happier.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They walked back to the apartment, Chuck made new friends on the way and apparently met some old ones too. Daiya asked Mondo to stay outside with Chuck while he'd ring miss Kotoha's doorbell. He wasn't sure she wanted the dog to come in.

Daiya stood by the door, he was about to rang the doorbell when he noticed the brown paper bag in front of the door. He frowned and crouched down a little to look inside it. It was full of rotten food. Daiya gulped. He knew Mondo usually did the groceries for miss Kotoha, who was old and too tired to do it herself.

Quickly he got up and rang the doorbell twice after knocking on the door. He tried the door handle. The door wasn't locked. "Mondo." He yelled at his brother who was a bit further away, playing with Chuck. "Why don't you go inside and give Chuck some food." Daiya tried to sound calm, even though he felt uneasy. After Mondo disappeared, Daiya walked into the house. "Miss Kotoha?" He called for her, frightened. "Miss...Kotoha?"

This was a short chapter, the next one will be a bit longer