prologue

ARIA GILBERT MADE HER way to the bar, but was stopped mid-way when her phone started ringing. She groaned and reached into her bag, trying to find the ringing device which was located somewhere deep in her purse. Her long chocolate brown hair flew in the wind as she lifted her head, answering the phone call.  

"Aria?" Jenna was on the other line. "Aria, where are you? You said that you were going to be home an hour ago." Her voice was full of worry. Aria rolled her eyes. "Don't rush me, Jenna. I'm just grabbing something to eat." The brunette says, sounding annoyed.  

"Don't talk to me like that. You know I hate it. Where are you, anyways?" The strawberry blonde women was eager to know. These days she had no idea where her niece was. It only made her want to know all the more. "That's my business." Aria pushed the door open, and the bell ringing at the top letting the workers and other people know that another person entered.

"Aria," Jenna said sternly. "Jenna." Aria mimicked in the tone of her aunt's voice.

"I'll be home soon. Don't worry about me."

"I always worry about you. You know that." Aria felt a smile appear on her lips, and it instantly fell off her face when she found a man staring at her. "I have to go. I'll call you when I'm almost home." "Wait-" Jenna was cut off. The man who spotted the brunette headed over to her with a smirk. He was wearing a very expensive - looking black leather jacket, with a black t-shirt, and dark skinny jeans.

Overall the constant stares he was giving her, he was extremely attractive. His piercing blue eyes were overwhelming her. His hair was a deep colour of dark black, and his smirk. She couldn't forget about his smirk. The man studied her face and features more. She looked exactly like Katherine. It couldn't have been her. Katherine has been locked in a tomb since 1864. He had to ask. "Katherine?" Aria shook her head. She looked exactly like her. Why was that?

"No, I'm Aria." She stated, folding her arms.

He stared at her like she was the sun. She was a stunning women, and she reminded him so much of Katherine. Not to mention the fact that they looked exactly alike. Aria was about to walk past him until he moved in front of her with another signature smirk of his. Aria bumped into his chest and sighed.

"Look, dude. I'm on the clock. If I don't eat something and be home soon by nine, my aunt Jenna is going to call the police and make them do a search party. I can't be late. So... can I go now?" She finally asked after a moment of silence. "Yes. Yes, you can." The blue-eyed man said, moving out of the way.

"Thank you," Aria said. "No problem." It took Aria about five second tops to realize that she didn't get his name. Shrugging, she walked over to the bar stool and sat down. A man next to her took a drink, the alcohol burning down his throat. "I'll have a vodka soda," Aria says, placing her bag next to her.  

Usually she would have to use her fake ID, but at this bar if you look over 19 then they don't bother to ask.

"Coming right up." The bartender said, sending a smile towards her.

Aria smiled back. "Thank you." She sighed, placing a hand under her chin. She looked around the bar and wondered why that man from earlier called her Katherine. Who was Katherine, anyway? Did she look like her? She didn't know. She'll never know.

"You okay down there?" A voice asked. She turned to the man who was sitting next to her, noticing his features and her eyes slightly widened. His lips were a perfect shape, his blue eyes sparkled into her brown ones, and his blonde sandy hair was perfectly in place. "H-hi," Aria stammered. She mentally face palmed herself. "Vodka soda," the bartender said, placing the drink in front of her. "Thanks," Aria said, taking a sip. "Aren't you a little young to be drinking?" Aria shot him a look. "Aren't you a little old to be drinking alone?" Aria shot back. He chuckled. "Alaric," he said, extending his hand.

Aria grinned and grabbed her drink, along with her bag and walked over to the dart board. She picked up a dart and hit it beside the red target. "Hey, you didn't tell me your name," he says, placing his drink down next to hers.

"Aria," she said, aiming at the dart board. She hit the target. "Nice name. You're good at this," Alaric said.

"I know." She grinned.

Alaric picked up a dart, aimed, missed terribly. He hit the wall and Aria let out a loud laugh. Alaric laughed as well. "Wow, that was amazing," Aria said sarcastically laughing, rolling her eyes. "I know." He grinned.

By the time dinner came rolling around Aria was starving. She didn't think Alaric and her would be playing darts for two hours straight, laughing their heads off when one of them missed the board, or when one of them hit the wall. Eventually they sat down and ordered some food. Aria got the veggie burger, and Alaric got the regular burger with fries on the side.  

"So, you're from Mystic Falls?" Alaric asked. Aria who was on her second drink of the night. "Born and raised." She nodded, stealing one of his fries. "Hey," Alaric chuckled, smiling at the brunette. "What? They are good," she said, chewing. "Well, you should have got the fries instead of the... the salad." He said, looking at the leafy greens next to her other food.

She reached for another fry and shoved it in her mouth. She giggled, making Alaric smile. "So... where are you from?" The brunette asked. Alaric pushed the plate of fries towards her knowing that she wanted more. "I moved around a lot. So a lot of places." "That's not very specific," Aria pointed out, eating another fry. "Well, the specifics don't matter. I try not to dwell too much on the past. I try to focus more on the future."

"Wow, that's some deep stuff," Aria let out a breath.

The two stayed silent for a moment staring at each other. "Well, to the future," Aria said, holding out her glass towards him.

"To the future."

Long story short, they later ended up in the bathroom having a hot make out session even though she instantly wanted it to be more. Alaric drove her home because he didn't want her to drive after having drinks. She most definitely no longer felt alone, and that was only the beginning of their story.