Chapter Two

"Cooper, put that down," I ordered, giving him a dry look. We were at a flea market, just browsing when we passed a particularly expensive looking shop that Cooper wanted to look in. Everything looked fragile, irreplaceable, and expensive. Almost priceless. All I could see were dollar signs EVERYWHERE. Well... Cooper, my adorably naïve and financially confused friend, picked up a beautiful elephant necklace. It was decorated with sparkling jewels, catching every bit of light it could. It dangled from a thin golden chain, twirling elegantly... and expensively.

He for some reason thought I would want it. I mean, yeah, elephants were my second favorite animal, but I didn't need nor want this expensive necklace.

He laughed and rested it in his other hand, "Why? It's gorgeous. You don't want it?"

"No. I don't want it, love," I answered. I massaged my temples and tapped his arm, "Please put it down."

"I'm gonna ask how much it is." He quickly turned and walked to the counter where the owner watched us with an amused smile. I sighed, following with disdain. He smiled politely and lifted the necklace with interest, "Ma'am, what's the price of this?"

"That is $75," she answered, smiling up at him. She glanced at me, then raised an eyebrow at Cooper, "Thinking of buying it for your girlfriend?"

Without blinking, he swung his arm over my shoulders and pulled me into his side, "Yes ma'am. It's her birthday soon and she hates surprises, so I figured I'd have her pick out her present."

I had to repress my scowl at his lie. We always pretended to date while we were in public, so that didn't bother me. What got on my nerves was that he claimed it was my birthday to get him sympathy points from the shop keep. How was I going to convince her I didn't want it now?

She giggled and looked at me, "You have such a sweet boyfriend. Hold on to him."

"That I will," I smiled, keeping up Cooper's façade by wrapping my arms around his waist. "But we don't want the necklace, ma'am. It's beautiful, but I don't need it."

"Yes mom," Cooper finally agreed with a roll of his eyes, nodding at the owner in goodbye and returning the necklace to its pedestal. He led me out of the store, poking his lower lip out and pouting. "Why won't you let me treat you?"

"Because it's not my birthday, for one," I began, "And I don't even wear jewelry that frequently."

"So you wouldn't wear it if I bought it for you?"

I shook my head, "Cooper, you know I don't like to look like a show off."

He rolled his eyes again, opening his mouth to reply when his phone started to ring. I quietly thanked whoever interrupted him; once he got going, there was no cutting him off. He pulled his large smartphone from his pocket and looked at the screen, answering it with a sigh," Dude, really? You know I'm out with Liyah right now."

I smiled despite myself as the person on the phone answered. Cooper was literally my favorite person, taking time out from everyone else to spend with me. Not like I wouldn't do the same, but it still made me smile or blush when he put me first. I stared at him as he spoke; Cooper wasn't bad to look at. He had dark, passionate eyes framed by thick eyelashes that every girl envied. His hair was dark, but glimmered with gold if the sun hit it right. Honestly, he could be a model with his chiseled jaw and full lips, but he didn't have the personality. He towered over me, me coming only to his shoulder when I wore heels. The lord truly took his time on Cooper. Unfortunately, he didn't give me all the patience necessary to deal with him.