Chapter 10 Training

Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.

Muhammad Ali

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel his fangs sink into my neck and I give out a small yelp. I feel the blood from inside, thinning and getting softer. He pulls his fangs out and smiles, licking the remaining  blood off of his lips. I wipe away the blood that's dripping from the fresh wound.

"You shall become a vampire in the morning. I'll help you work on your abilities first thing." I nod and my hands shake in fear.

Was this the right choice?

He must've sensed my hesitance and fear, because he steps closer and kisses me. I am taken aback but kiss him back. He pulls away and smiles at me, holding my hands in his. "You'll be OK. You don't have to fear anymore." All I can do is nod, and we lie down to sleep.

That night, I am restless, and have a fitful sleep. I wonder if it is because I'm turning nocturnal, or just because sleeping on the ground can be uncomfortable.

***************

I wake up bright and early, and have to shake Ash awake. "Ash! Ash! Get up!" I screech, holding onto his arm and shaking him. His eyes widen as he opens them and he sits up.

"What?!? What is it? What's wrong?!?" He panics, holding my arms. "Nothing," I say, nonchalantly, "I just thought you could help me with my....'abilities' now." He sighs and groans. "Now?" He groans again. "Yes, now! I need to know how to protect myself!" I growl.

"OK, OK, fine." He says, standing. He pulls me up with him and smiles at me. "First step, smell this." He tears a button off of his shirt. "Uh, OK." I say. I sniff it. It doesn't smell like anything.

"Close your eyes." I do as instructed. "Now...fetch!" I hear a small plop behind me. "You really didn't just throw that thing, did you?" I say, my eyes still closed. "Yep! Now go find it! And no peeking." He concludes, happily.

I sigh and head towards where I heard the small thing land. I sniff the air, getting a weird sensation in my gut. I feel weird for sniffing the air, but I can't help it.

"I'm never going to find it!" I yell, getting on my hands and knees to feel for it in the dry leaves. "It's just to sharpen your senses. Just try." He says. I sigh and feel something that is hard, but not crunchy like the leaves.

It is small and round in my fingertips. "I found it!" I say, opening my eyes and holding it up for him to see. I stand to my feet and look at the small, clear button. He takes it from me and smiles. "Well done." He says as I smile back.

We walk a little further into the forest as I grab my bag. "Here." He says. "I'm going to hide and you have to find me." My eyes widen and I gasp, holding onto his sleeve as he starts to leave. "No! You can't leave without me! I-I" I gasp for air, realizing tears have fallen down my face. He stops and takes my head in his hands, traveling his soft thumb across my cheeks and wiping the tears away.

"It's just a little game. It's apart of your training. You don't have to worry, Evie, I could never leave you." I nod and sniffle. He drops his hands to his side and turns me around. I close my eyes and plug my ears so I can't hear the leaves crunching as he runs away to hide.

I count to thirty, as instructed, and open my eyes as I turn around. I sniff the air for any signs of his boyish smell, mixed with a ravishing cologne.