Chapter 17| Storytelling

Ever since I lost Gabby on New Year's, my life's been empty.

I can't find anyone to text at ungodly hours to ask stupid, random questions. I can't find anyone to call me an annoying asshole. I can't find anyone that's her. I thought it was hard before, but now that she's in a coma, I don't think I understood the definition of hard before, even if I'm getting better now. I'm numb, yes, but at least I'm not in pain, at least I don't cry anymore. Sometimes, I pretend that Gabby isn't in a coma, that she's just sick and staying home, but it's hard to when I visit her so frequently. Things have never been harder on me than now, not even when I disconnected myself from everything.

It's now almost mid-May, and visiting her at the hospital as much as I do isn't enough for me anymore. I hate watching her laying still, hooked to those machines, bare of life. It reminds me that she was so miserable that she decided life wasn't worth it anymore, and I'd like to say it pains me, but I've become so numb that I'm now immune to the pain that used to come with visiting her. Instead of watching her and crying, I talk to her. I heard talking to comatose patients helps them recover, and I decided it wouldn't hurt to do.

Sighing, I get off the roof and into my room. I'm still in the clothes I wore to school today, so I decide not to change and just head to the hospital. I drive down the now-familiar road, park in the same spot I always do, greet the now-familiar nurses, and head to the now-familiar room. I've gotten used to everything that I pass by on my way to Gabby's room, but I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing her laying lifeless on a hospital bed.

I sit down beside the bed—like I always do—and think about what to do next. "Hey, sweetheart," I whisper. I hold her hand. "I miss you." Like usual, I tell her about my day and what I've been up to, but it just doesn't seem like enough today. I want to do something else, something different. So, I decide that I might as well tell her a story. "I'm gonna tell you a story today. Is that alright?"

Of course, no one answers, just the beeping of the heart monitor, but it's not like I ever expect her to answer. I sigh.

"Once upon a time," I started, whispering, "there was a boy who lived in a small village. He had blonde hair like a crown on his head, and eyes as blue as an ocean." I smile a little, realizing I just compared my own eyes to the ocean. "One day, he met a princess. She had beautiful chestnut waves of hair cascading down her back, and eyes so rich in brown, like little round chocolates. She needed help, and help he gave her. The boy fell in love with the princess. He loved her, but he knew he could never have her. He knew he'd never be able to capture her heart, for he was a simple boy and she was a beautiful princess who once needed help." I swallow. "Do you think the boy ever captured her heart, Gabby?"

But, as always, she never answers, leaving me with just the beeping monitor for company. So, I decide to leave. I kiss her forehead and her knuckles. "I love you," I whisper, and then I leave, making the room seem as though no one was ever there.

  —  

totally not late.

i've been writing offline and guess what, one more chapter and the book is finished. whaaat?

do you think the boy captured the princess's heart?