Prologue

The small young girl cowered behind a tree as the darkness surrounded her. She hated it. It terrified her and seemed to last forever. She tried not to let the tears fall because they grew cold quickly and burned her cheeks. She could never stop them. Her small chest and shoulders heaved as the sobs rocked her already shivering body. The only thing worse than the dark, was being alone in it.

A young country walked along in the snow. There was plenty of snow in his own home, why did he have to acquire a territory with so much extra. Not only that, but it was night for quite a long time. A female’s sobbing made him pause. His sisters weren’t with him, were they? He came to a stop in front of a moving white snow hill on the ground. When he leaned closer, he could tell that it wasn’t snow that was the hill, it was a girl. “Allo.”

The girl started and turned her tearstained face up to the looming figure. “Who are you?” her young voice asked. The boy in front of her seemed to be in his mid to late teens. “Russia.” He answered. He held out a hand to her. “Tell me your name now, da?”

The girl took his hand and allowed herself to be helped up, wiping the tears from under her crystal blue eyes. “A-alaska.” She replied with a sniffle. She watched Russia nod. “Do you not like the cold?” He asked.

Alaska shook her head. “I-it’s the dark…” She replied. “I’ve been alone in it for so long…”

Russia frowned. He felt bad for the poor girl. “It’s not dark at my house.” He offered. Alaska was silent for a moment. She was trying to decide if it was ok to go somewhere with someone she didn’t know, but he seemed nice, and she hated the dark so much. She looked at him. “R-really?”

Russia nodded and lead her back through the icy lands. It was cold at his house as well, but at least it was day time. The small territory smiled softly. “It’s so pretty.”

Russia looked over at her. “It’s only snow. You have it too, da?” This made Alaska giggle. “But I love the snow. It makes everything look so pure and fragile.”

Russia blinked. He’d never thought of it that way. He only knew that the sun covered up and killed the sunflowers. He led her inside and lit the Pechka. “Don’t you ever wish it was warm?”

Alaska only smiled at him. “Sometimes, but then, what would the polar bears do with no snow to hide in?” Russia looked the girl over. He decided that she would be fine to become one with Russia. But he didn’t expect how difficult it would be to bring her up. When he fought with Britain, he didn’t let her know of the strain it put on him. She would have insisted that she protected herself, and she wouldn’t have been able to do that. Eventually, he was unable to protect her, and had to give her away….