Guilt: Chapter Two

Jak pulled up to Arlena's house, and turned off the ignition. She reached over and brushed a stray hair away from Brandy's face. Jak admired how beautiful she appeared, glowing in the evening sunlight. Brandy smiled sweetly in return, as she always took notice of the tender moments between them.

"You look gorgeous," Jak spoke softly, as she admired the yellow sundress Brandy was wearing, and how it complemented her body in just the right places.

"So, do you," Brandy replied.

Jak glimpsed down at her v-neck shirt and jean shorts, "You're kidding right?"

"No, I'm not kidding," Brandy laughed as she took Jak by the hand. "I love the way your hair drapes carelessly over your shoulders, the way your eyes light up when you laugh... I love the mala beads that hug your wrist, and how soft your skin is." She traced her finger up Jak's arm, "And you always smell like crisp apples and sandalwood." Brandy inhaled, "It's my favorite smell in the entire world."

Jak felt a rush of heat warm her cheeks, "I thought I was supposed to be the charming one?"

"Take the night off," Brandy quipped, "you've definitely earned it."

Suddenly, a loud banging on the hood of the jeep seized the girls' attention. They both jerked their heads up in unison to see Arlena and Justin standing in the driveway, toting a cooler and multiple cases of beer, and waving for them to get out of the vehicle.

"Looks like Justin's brother pulled through on alcohol," noted Jak

"Ugh, I hope he isn't here tonight, he's such an asshole."

Jak scoffed, "Yeah, and he totally has a thing for Arlena."

"That's gross; that's your little brother's girlfriend."

"We should stop gossiping and go give them a hand," Jak opened the driver's side door, and then quickly hurried around to open the door for Brandy, then politely helped her climb out of the jeep, which was not an easy feat to conquer in a dress and heels.

"Hey guys!" Arlena exclaimed. "I'm so happy you made it!" She rushed over and embraced them both.

Jak grabbed a case of beer from Justin's arms, and the teens headed towards the backyard to begin setting up for other guests who would arrive soon. As Jak helped Justin fill the coolers with ice and alcohol, Brandy and Arlena set up chairs and tables around the pool. There was a sense of freedom and wonder in the air that night. With high school in the rear view mirror, and adulthood officially locked into gear, independence seemed ripe for to the picking. For Jak, nothing could have felt more energizing. Before long, friends started to arrive, and the backyard began to buzz with chatter and laughter. Many of the guests were classmates, but as expected, Justin's older brother, Danny, crashed onto the scene with his crew of twenty-something year olds, who seemingly had no place better to be that night than a high school graduation party.

Inside, Arlena had set out a spread of fruit and veggie trays, and an assortment of other snacks in the kitchen, but had cleverly roped off the hallway leading to the rest of the house. This was a wise precaution to ensure no party stragglers wandered upstairs, or into her parents bedroom. The party was going off without a hitch, until Brandy found herself in the middle of an awkward exchange between Danny and Arlena.

"I swear to God, Danny, your friends are like wild boars," Arlena moaned as she furiously scrubbed cheese dip off the kitchen floor.

"Lena, we take that as a compliment," Danny smugly replied. "What woman doesn't want a roll in the hay with a beast?" He and his friends laughed obnoxiously. "Would you relax? It's just cheese dip."