two

ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ.

++

in distress, contemplating whether to try on the clothes gem brought over. after a good minute, i made up my mind to try on the blue one which lit up a smile on her face.

"it's not that i'm mad that you're leaving," she uttered as i slip into the dress. "but i can't deny that i am rather sad. when do you plan to tell the others?" she sounded troubled, more than i was. i left the bathroom wearing the dress with a sad face plastered. "can i not tell them at all?"

a pillow flew over my face in response, meant that she had no space for bluffing around. "i understand the fact that we're the closest but wouldn't it be unfair?" she furrowed her brows.

i sat down the edge of the bed, beside her and shrugged.  "i don't think i have to courage to." i hung my head low as a sigh left my mouth.

gem came to me when i had a hard time blending in class and eventually helped me gain my own circle of friends. she's like my best friend, but not to that extent. we don't always hang out after class, nor do we send each other texts a lot. only when it's necessary.

"welp!" she stood up and pulled me with her, both hands holding mine. "since you're all dressed like a princess, why don't we go out and have a good time?" she suggested, fetching her hand bag from one of the hook behind the door. i gave her a wavering look, she simply shook her head only to tell me that there was no escaping her.

the mall wasn't as crowded as the last time we visited. when was that? a month ago? we barely had time to wind up and enjoy due to the drilling-to-the-core studying for the entrance exams. the one i failed. however, it was nice seeing new stalls, most especially food stalls. gem enjoyed the clothing boutiques the most. so it's always a win-win situtation for the both of us when we're together.

we always go shopping before eating but since it was her call to treat me, we ate first and then ran around checking each and every boutique. she insisted to buy me a few clothes, i didn't really like dressing up but since she seemed really happy, i made up my mind to let her swipe her card for me just once, until we landed on the last botique on the second floor.

the one near a perfume store. she dragged me into the fitting room with four different dresses and tops and asked me to try them all on. "no, no. stay here. i'll go look for more." she made a clicking sound with her tongue and stormed out to fetch more. growing impatient, somehow i found her eagerness, cute. she's been the sweetest, like a baby sister, although i am older, she acts like a baby but when it comes to looking after me, she could pass as my mom.

multiple knocks broke the silence surrounding the fitting room, she immediately pushed the clothes in as soon as i opened the door. "hurry up!!" she said. "easy, are you in a rush?"

"actually, yes. i really really really need to use the bathroom." she confessed. i could see her feet moving from tile to tile underneath. i couldn't help but to laugh. "you can go. i'll wait for you." i said. "really?" she asked, but before i could even reply, she already dashed out.

i took a photo with each outfits on, that way, it'll be more convenient for the both of us and to help her choose when she arrives. a saleslady came to me and offered a hand to return the clothes. i patiently waited for gem's return.

i walked through ever aisle to check the rest of their clothes and in my surprise, "pretty." i uttered and took a gingham dress with me. i took separate photo wearing it, since it's rare for me to think that i look good in something i don't usually wear.

almost 10 minutes have passed and still not a sign of wonyoung. so i sent her a message.

precious g e m 💎

where on earth r u?

ˢᵉⁿᵗ ⁷⠘²⁷ᵖᵐ

"ahhhh!!!" various voices were beyond heard from outside, loud screams and foot steps. it tickled my curiosity making me step out of the fitting room to check on the commotion only to find a solid crowd of girls just outside the boutique, phones up and running.

they were squeezing their bodies deeper into the core of the ruckus.

"louis! over here!!!"

"niall, please look here!"

"holy fuck payne!"

is it..

no.

could it be?

"it's.. can it be?"

my heart began racing, so fast it felt like my chest was about to break in half. both my hands and knees began shaking too, whether it was out of anxiousness or too much excitement, i knew i had to join them before i miss the chance.

there was no time to waste, even if i do trip over myself, if there's any less chance that i have to do it to chase one glance of him, i will.

"za-"

not another move, the alarm chimed. louder than the chorus of chants. it stole everybody's attention. the world, my world, froze. they all turned their heads when the same saleslady from earlier called me back in. "miss, you haven't paid for your dress!" the crowd fell mute, making her voice echoe.

"lara!" gem popped out from the crowd, pulling me back in with her. later on, the attention sober down although the salesladies were still eyeing me in an uncomfortable way. "thank you, and we're really sorry for causing you much trouble." gem stated, taking her card out to pay for the dress.

"i'm really s-"

"guess what?"

she asked with a stuffed smile. her face was turning red. "what-" i anxiously asked. isn't she at least bothered of what happened?

gem fished her phone out and showed me separate photos of her with niall and harry. "i was on my way back here when i saw then inside clean perfume." she said, voice a hitch higher than her norms.

between melting in jealousy and crying over the misfortune, all i could do was smile for her luck. he was a few steps ahead of me. so, so close. if not meeting him in this means could kill, i'd commit suicide. but of course, that's absurd. i'm not that vulnerable. but i missed a chance to finally meet him. nobody knows, it could've been my only chance to see him at least.

she got me a dress, at least.