Part 1: Prettier Than Them

//Edited to fix a few things.** //

When I was born my mother said it was the best night of her life. The full moon was bright in the sky, energy ran high and her coven was there to bless my birth and my father was right by her side as she held me tight in her arms. Yet, in that beautiful moment, she spoke to my father.. to me and said some of the witches were angry and the vampires were curious and when I should ask why when I was older she'd say they envied me. Envied me for the power I'd have, the unknown blood running through my veins and my unnatural beauty. A child of the dark and earth. How could this have happened? She knew they were puzzled, surely I'd be a dark witch but no, I was apart of the white witch coven even though my father was the ruler of Tenebris, the darkest of the seven valleys. He was fine with my being apart of their coven, in fact, he condoned it. He didn't want me to be apart of the dark any more than I already was, but he could not save me from it.

~*~

I watched as my mother walked me up to the school building. It was my first day of Middle School. Sure I was supposed to start earlier but my mother had taken it up upon herself to teach me. I liked it. I was taught everything magic, basic skills and every subject I should know for school. I was a fast learner and I loved the fact she felt she knew more than the school and she always said I was the smartest 10 year old out there. But little did I know she was keeping me from something.

I held her hand tight as we walked up to the cabin-like school. It was in the woods, yet all of the Solis was surrounded by forests, valleys, waterfalls, and nature. That's just how Solis was. The home of the white witches and elves. They thrived in nature, delighted in this energy. Traded modern items for much simpler things. Let's just say it was much different than my fathers home of Tenebris. They thrived on the new 'technologies' of the parts of the seven valleys-taking what was useful from it while still keeping some simple roots. It was taken from the humans-the use of carriages, new building materials-and they were demoted back to their roots with rocks and wood homes. We didn't think it was so bad though. But our homes were spectacular. Better than any wooden human house.

 My mother opened the door and motioned for me to go inside. I walked down the long hallway. I loved the majesty of our buildings and the beautiful magic lights that lit them up. Our magic was like no one else's. Drawn from our very light souls, it was the purest form of magic next to the spirits in Exspiravit, the seventh valley. As I continued to walk, I noticed a class walking down the hallway. Girls and boys my age, dressed in all white outfits, silks, and breathable materials. It mirrored my own white dress and I smiled, ready to follow along with them. The kids watched me curiously and the teacher gasped when she saw me, shuffling the kids into a group and another teacher walked over, whispering to the other and they seemed to shield the children. 

What was going on? "Sela!" My mother called and I turned to look back at my mother. "What?" I asked, unaware of the chanting that was beginning behind me and suddenly a beam of light surged in my direction. But my mother was fast, she ran up to use her own magic to block their unexpected attack. Suddenly another woman ran up, the headmistress, and stood between the two opposing parties. "She is not a threat and is welcome at this school." She spoke glaring at the two women. .My mother glared at them, looking mildly threatening her long blonde hair looked wild. The two teachers relaxed their arms and shooed they children on down the hall. I walked up to hide behind my mom. Did I do something wrong? "It must have been her aura.. it does have an odd color. Not like the other white witches. I'm so sorry this happened. I'll make a notion in the High Coven, let them know that she's as much a white witch as the rest of us and that she.."

My mother cut her off before she could finish. "No. Don't. It'll make things harder for her." She moved a hand to place atop my head and smiled down at me. "Just please, let me and my husband handle it."