Chapter 7. Bear Man

After walking me home, Dane spent the night at my house. He slept on the couch in his wolf form and would stalk around the house every few hours, watching and waiting for something to happen. Nothing happened, of course, but he did it anyway. He would smell the air around him, smell the dirt and moss or trees and even my truck.

"Dane, you need to come inside. I'm locking the doors if you don't come in." Salem teases.

"You better lock the doors anyway. I assume you can smell it."

"I haven't the slightest clue." He said thru grinding teeth.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing. Bed time, off to bed with you." Salem shooed me away. I pouted in return.

"Goodnight, Ren."

"Night, guys." I mutter. I leave the room, only to hide in my bedroom with the door partially open.

"Yes I can smell it. He is getting closer, what do you expect me to do? Tell her that she might die at the hands of a rogue? That would destroy every chance we have at keeping her safe!"

"This house can't protect her forever, Salem. Yes, it has magics that will keep her safe and hidden for a while, but he has spotted her. He is getting closer."

"I will keep her safe. It's my job to."

"No it isn't. It's mine as her mate."

"I'm her brother. I'm family. It was my job long before we knew you, kid."

"Watch what you say me me, cat." Dane growled. I could feel his anger from my bedroom. Do they think I'm naive?

"You aren't the only alpha born, Dane. I'm a hundred years older than you, stronger too."

"You think?"

"Stop!" I stood in my doorway. Both whipped around to look at me. "Stop it now! You two need to stop fighting and grow up! I'm not a naive child! I know there is a monster going after me. I'm be only one who has seen it, remember? So stop acting like I have no clue!"

"Go back to bed, Ren." Salem glared at Dane.

"No. I will not. I'm standing up for myself, I can protect myself. I don't need you two to try to protect me by hovering over me and fighting behind my back. Stop it!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

"Dane, you need to. I'm not asking. I'm telling. Stop treating me like this."

Both men watched me in silence. They glanced at each other, and looked back to me.

"I'm sorry, Ren," Salem started, "but we can't talk to you about this. For your own good."

"Are you kidding me?" I screamed. The hair around my face flew wildly, my fists clenched and angry. "It's my Goddamn life! I have the right to know what is threatening it!"

"Ren, calm down." Dane stepped forward, walking towards me like I'm a dog with rabies.

"I will not calm down! Everyone told me what to do and if I didn't act perfect I was thrown out. I will never be fucking perfect! I will never calm down because I need an outlet too! Both of you can go to tell for all I care!" I spun on my heals, and stormed to my room to violently throw some clothes in a bag along with running shoes.

"What are you doing?" Salem asked from my door way.

"Leaving. I'd rather die than be stuck in another situation like back at the city. I will never feel like that again." This comment made Salem freeze. He gasped and winced as if I had punched him in the chest.