youth.

❝And when the lights start
flashing like a photo booth,
and the stars exploding,

we'll be fireproof!❞   

I COULD NEVER FORGET YOUR FACE,

— I COULD NEVER FORGET YOUR FACE,

OR THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL.

Before he was a detective, he was just Jake.

Jacob Peralta, who carried his emotional baggage somewhat proudly, used as ammunition to deflect away from his personal issues, the same guy who claimed to a thousand jokes that made actual sense to very few, and the boy with really a heart of gold, but broken after people had screwed with it a few too many times.

Life was okay, on the surface, but there was a lot happening inside the young teen's head, and he was suffering despite what he would say otherwise.

But, laughter really did seem to be the best medicine, and that came from two people in young Jake's life. One being Gina Linetti, the girl who had stuck with him through elementary school and followed him through to his life as a cop years and years later. The other was Rudy Moran. His name was not really Rudy, it was Damien, but he always went by his middle name, or the nickname of that. He declared it gave him character, and it really did suit him - at least, Jake Peralta thought so.

Rudy was a miracle disguised in odd-fitting pants and his grandfather's leather jacket, one he wore everywhere (mostly, everywhere). Jake and he met in their eleventh year, one that particularly sucked for both parties, and immediately they just clicked. They understood one another's humour, and Rudy never seemed to mind when Jake just wanted to talk about how upset he was every time he got let down by his dad, or watch reruns of bad movies when he was too wrapped up in his thoughts to talk. In return, he let Rudy crash at his place any time the tensions (brought on by the reveal that he was gay and proud of it) at his own apartment got too much to deal with. And they were pretty happy, despite it all.

That was until Rudy was sent away to Oregon of all places to visit his grandmother after he graduated, and Jake was left to watch his friend walk away with no way to keep in touch. They did try, but it was too difficult without the resources to do so and the ability to change their fates. Jake was on his path to be a detective and Rudy was out doing whatever he wanted to do with the rest of his life, or at least what he could to survive his crotchety old grandmother who had a strange love for salmon.