Airplanes

I would receive annoyed glances from my teachers as I would send my fifth paper aeroplane flying across the class. I would hear mocking, yet friendly giggles from fellow classmates as my new prototype spins down to the floor. I would squeal in excitement as the girl sitting next to would give my failed paper-wings elevators or a bent tip to let it soar once again.

And I would receive one of the prettiest smiles from my language teacher, as my aeroplane would bump her on the nose. The carefree, teasing look she gave as she returned the airplane made me love her even more if that was possible.

And days passed. Weeks rushed by.

Months flew away when I would receive news that I would never be able to see that smile again. Never listen to her stories one more time. Stories about devouring mangoes or crows following her brother. Her soothing voice telling me that I am trying my best was long gone now. And where would her happy tone be when I would live up to her expectations?

But I knew that she didn't leave me entirely. I knew that she loved her students too much to let us go that easily.

And maybe today, years later, when I sent my aeroplanes up in the air, it gives her a little visit. Maybe she picks it up and returns it back to Earth. Maybe she smiles, and maybe all the other angels smile with her.

Maybe.

Sort of based on a true experience

You were the best, Renu Ma'am. 

I know the lack of a plot twist or anything would have been disappointing, but I just wanted to share this.