Love Resurrects

When the gates of the prison were behind his crouched back, it wasn't freedom that welcomed him. The past twenty years were spent trying to escape the bars, but now that he was finally out, he felt lost.

He forgot the way back home. He didn't even know if his family still resided there, or if the house still had its four walls. He didn't know if his family would take back. Or if any employer would want this old chap. 

Disappointed, he dropped to his knees. Sliding down his cheek was a tear. The wind took it away. His hair wavered in his face, and his cold body was to his chest. He wanted to go back in, he realized that he belonged in there. Why did he ever try to deny that?

Almost as if an answer to his question, a lady in pretty red shoes put a coat over him. His wife. She came back, after all these years. 

Blood rushed to his cheeks as he saw the pretty little face of the woman that belonged to him. Nothing else had importance anymore. When he was with her, he forgot everything else. Her innocent, caring eyes that hid something. Her small, red mouth that lied often. But to him, it didn't matter. He trusted her, and she loved him.

Before he knew it, he was on his feet, holding her round, childlike face in his large, rough hands. They were cold. His wife was freezing herself so that he wouldn't. Realizing this, he grabbed her into a tight hug.

His heart was beating fast against hers. 

But hers wasn't. It was almost like it wasn't beating at all--

He tried to push her away as it suddenly hit him why he had ended up in prison in the first place. 

But there was nothing to push. His wife was long gone. Twenty years ago.