Chapter 1 - What's Up, Suckers

Carson Lake was walking through the snow, sipping her coffee as the wind from the passing cars sent her dirty blonde hair flying forwards, her snow shoes hit the ice covered concrete, sometimes making her nearly lose her balance. She took one last sip from her coffee before throwing it in the nearest trash can without slowing her pace. She turned a corner and opened the door to the local store, light music and the slightest bit of heat hit her as she stepped inside, the smell of mint and candy wrapping around her immediately. She smiled as she shook her head to try and get the snow flakes out of her hair before walking towards the counter.

A woman in her sixties sat on the other side, reading a book. She looked up when she heard the familiar steps she'd been hearing every morning for the past ten years.

"Good morning Mrs. Kane, how are you feeling?" The young girl asked as she took a pack of Skittles and two packs of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, along with a packet of chips.

"Oh, stop asking me that dear. It makes me feel more sick than I already am. It's just the flu, it'll pass soon." The woman answered, waving her hand in dismissal.

"I know, but maybe if you stayed at home and let me take care of things here it would go away sooner."

"Carson, you've already spent more than a month working here instead of doing more serious jobs. I don't want you to stop working for Mr. Barnes to work in this place. He pays well, and you know it. He adores you."

Carson smiled at the mention of the sixty-year-old man who had been taking care of her since she was twelve. Her father, if he could even be called that, had decided that drug dealing was a good thing, that it would get him and his daughter more money, but whenever he offered it to her, she refused it. She started working for Mr. Barnes when she was ten, only doing small works for him like walking his dog or picking up his groceries. When she was thirteen she taught herself how to hunt, and started bringing him some game. She hated the thought of killing innocent animals, but it was all she could do. Her father wasn't a drug dealer at the time, so the money she earned he would take to spend on his own time. She had to start hunting for herself as well as for Mr. Barnes. Mr. Barnes started letting the girl stay over at his house when she turned fourteen since that was when her father got into the drug business.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Carson took a twenty dollar bill out of her phone case, sliding it across the counter.

Mrs. Kane took the money and gave Carson the change. The girl smiled at the woman and thanked her before heading towards the door.

"Why all the food?" Mrs. Kane asked, trying to keep the girl in the store. Mr. Barnes said he had news for her, and would tell her that morning, so him and Mrs. Kane decided he would come to the store that morning and tell her.

Carson gave the woman a weird look. "This is nothing compared to what I usually buy, Mrs. Kane, but to answer your question, Mr. Baker invited me at his place for the weekend. His two sons are visiting and he wants to take them out, so he thought I could, you know, give him a hand."

Mrs. Kane furrowed her eyebrows. Mr. Baker was one of the few people Carson had worked for, and he had become very fond of the girl, though something was off about him. The few times he'd come to the store he would always talk about her, almost as if she were his own daughter.

Carson was just about to walk out of the store when a man wearing a black coat and hat opened the door.

"Carson, darling, I'm so glad you're here," Mr. Barnes said as he closed the door behind him.

Carson smiled, but her face showed an expression of confusion. "Mr. Barnes, what are you doing here?" She asked, walking back towards the counter with the man.