Chapter 13: A Matter Of Trust

Jericho followed Salome down a torchlit hallway. The heat from the torches made this narrow area uncomfortably hot, and by the time the two of them stopped, his face was sheened with sweat. He wiped it away carelessly with his arm and noticed they had stopped at a dead end.

Salome smiled when she saw the look on his face. "My lair is right behind this wall. Hold this," she said, passing him a torch. Jericho took it as if he were expecting it to bite him.

"Let's get this over with," he said disgustedly. "The sooner we finish, the sooner I find out about my mother and the sooner I can get away from you."

"Patience child. There is no love for you on my part, either, and I am just as eager to have done with our arrangement. I need someone who can read the strange runes from your world and in return you will learn all about the goddess who abandoned you."

"You're a pushy lass," Jericho said simply. "These runes... what are they for? Why do you think I can read them?"

Salome found what she was looking for on the wall and pressed lightly. A dim glow appeared briefly, and there was the sound of sliding stone. An instant later, a stone stairwell was revealed, and even more torches lined the wall leading downward. "Come."

Jericho followed the witch, silently wondering about the guilty feeling that had suddenly crept into him like bitter cold to an old man's bones. He had a nagging suspicion that he was doing something he shouldn't.

Am I betraying them? What if she doesn't tell me after I help her? He thought, then stopped walking.

"Come on. It's not that far now," Salome said, misunderstanding the reason for his delay.

"Wait. Tell me about her."

"Impertinent boy. You will learn everything once you read the runes to me. What the... we're back to this?" she said when she saw that Jericho once again had his weapon drawn on her. "I told you that..."

"I'm changing the rules," the Shadow Hunter said, cutting her off. "Tell me about her and I'll help. I'm not taking another step until you do."

"Better men than you have met their end because of their impatience."

"Funny. Chief Devereaux used to read me that act on a daily basis, so it's nothing I haven't heard before. Now, no more bargaining, no more pillow talk. Tell me what I need to know, and I'll stick around to help you out," Jericho replied. By putting her in the position of having to trust him, he could turn it around and gain the upper hand. However, both had something the other needed.

"Hm. I don't trust you to keep your word," Salome said softly.

"Exactly my point."

As if she expected this, she nodded, then drew a knife from a scabbard on her belt. "Then I shall make you trust me, and you shall make me trust you." She drew the knife across her forearm, the pale skin opening as blood poured freely from the slit she had made. "Blood is the best currency for trust, is it not?"