Prologue

The midnight was a darkness of coal and stone, the stars shimmering like flakes of freshly fallen snow.

Kay knew she and Liz shouldn't be there, but something within urged her to go deeper down the beach.

Kay's pale yellow nightgown flowed with the everlasting wind, the waves of the salty water splashing amongst her smooth, soft feet.

The peacefulness soon came to a stop, as thunder struck the Earth. The lightning pounded against the air, trying to fight the thick fog and rain.

Liz noticed the attack of the bolts, instantly rushing to safety, her long, perfect legs lightly smacking the floor after each step.

Kay followed along once she noticed what her best friend was doing. Kay's heart soon thumped breathlessly, pleading for air. She collapsed onto the sandy floor of the beach, watching as her friend left without her.

Liz is protecting herself, Kay told herself continuously, She's doing what we always told  one another. If something bad were to happen, we'd have to protect ourselves before assisting each other.

Kay's eyes started to flood, much like the beach water behind her, as she watched her friend leave until there was no more too see. Liz disappeared within the thick fog.

Kay wanted to do so many things. She wanted to be at her twin brother's wedding. She wanted to graduate highschool with a degree in health and science so she could become a world-famous doctor.

She knew that she wouldn't live long. Her heart problem was untreatable, and so rare that doctors barely look into it. As far as Kay knew, she was the only person in North America with this problem. She just had so many wishes.

None of which were coming true.

Kay spread her hand along the surface of the beach, digging her fingers repeatedly into the rough sand as if it would release her from the tragedy.

But it didn't.

The lightning struck harder as the waves grew stronger.

Zaps of light attacked Kay, her body resting peacefully in the ground, only slight breaths remaining.

Strike by strike, she slowly died.

And just like that, Kay closed her eyes and accepted fate.