23. The Interview

Vote and Comment, Please!

**********

"Maa, hurry up, I'm getting late!" Avni exclaimed trying to fix the strap of her broken watch. She considered it to be her lucky charm as her Nanno told her that her mother, Aisha wore the same watch for her first audition. Wearing the watch today was Avni's way of taking Aisha's blessings for her first interview.

"Avni, first we should go to the temple for.."Neela couldn't complete as Avni interrupted her,"Maa, you know I don't believe in all this, aur vaise bhi I just need your blessings, nothing else." Avni said.

Neela then dropped Avni in front of a huge building. She wished her luck and left for the airport as she needed to board a flight to Surat. Avni stood in front of the magnificent, glass-walled building, a master piece of perfection. She read the metal block letters in front, Khanna Empire, Head Office Avni was impressed with the Khanna's business and success. She recalled Neela telling her about their backstory. Apparently, the business was set up by Mrs. Harleen Khanna who passed it to her son, Mr. Prakash Khanna. The company was set up around 27 years ago and was at its best now. People say it's because of Mr. Prakash's son who has taken over the business a couple of years ago. She had a liking for this person already since according to her research, Mr. Prakash's son had taken over Ketan Mehta's last industry recently, which was the final point in breaking down the Mehta Empire. They were now left with nothing, the great Dayawanti Mehta was now living in a rented house near the slums of Mumbai and Avni couldn't be happier. She didn't want revenge but the idea of Dayawanti suffering, seemed to please her. She had done her homework and she knew that she would most probably be working for Mr. Prakash who is known to be a humble and kindhearted man.

"Let's see what's in store for me. Ganpati Bappa, Moraya!" Avni said under her breath and was reminded of Ali and how she missed him. Making a plan to visit him soon, she brushed off her thoughts before she could enter her dreamland and think about HIM. She quickly regained her professional posture and stepped in. She was in awe as she saw the interior of the office reception. She was impressed, the place looked elegant and sophisticated and screamed of money. Avni proceeded towards the reception and looked at the counter where three people sat. Two ladies in their mid-twenties and a middle-aged man. She realized that this was a big company and she couldn't wait to train under Mr. Prakash and help Neela reach heights in her business.

"Um.. Excuse me?"Avni asked hesitantly as she saw one of the receptionists keep her phone down.

"Hi!How may I help you?" The girl in her mid-twenties asked Avni, smiling through her extra-large glasses. Avni mentally chuckled at her description of 'extra-large' glasses.

"Um.. I'm here for an interview?" It came out to be more of a question than a statement.

"Oh! I see, can I have your name please?" The lady asked focusing back on the computer screen

"A..Ananya Verma" Avni stammered. It had been years she had used this name but still it sounded foreign to her.

The receptionist typed something on her computer while Avni read her badge 'SUMAN TALWAR'

"Ms. Verma, please take the elevator on the left to floor 4, you have to report to room 412 for an interview. If you forget your way, just ask the receptionist on the fourth floor about the HR Manager, Mr. Vivek.. and, best of luck" Suman smiled at Avni. Avni smiled back with a small thanks and nervously twisting the ends of her scarf, she entered the elevator. She sat on one of the chairs beside the door that read, "VIVEK TRIPATHI, HR MANAGING HEAD" and the assistant told her to come in.

"So Miss Ananya, why do you want this job?" Mr. Vivek, a man in his mid-fifties asked Avni after inquiring about her qualifications. The interview had almost ended and Avni was happy with her performance.

"Sir, I want to gain experience and train under the best. I've heard a lot about the Khannas and it would be my pleasure to be a part of this magnificent empire." Avni said, smiling

"Very well, Ms. Verma. The papers are ready and you've been appointed as a personal secretary for junior Khanna. You have to take care of everything which concerns him. Do read the terms and conditions before signing." Mr. Vivek smiled and got up to disappear in one of the doors in his office. Avni was excited as she cleared her first interview and hoped that it wasn't just because of Neela's recommendations. She was proud of her resume, she had her undergraduate from one of the most prestigious institutes in London. Putting those thoughts aside, she happily signed the papers, vaguely reading the clauses and expectations. She was too happy for her own good. Signing the papers, she closed the file, kept the resume inside her bag and waited for Mr. Vivek to return.

Neil Khanna's Office

"Uncle, please have a seat" Neil said to Mr. Vivek.

"No thanks, beta. I just took the interview. I must say, the girl is good. She has fire but my eyes say that there is a lot hidden in her. But never mind, I am impressed." Mr. Vivek told Neil sitting in front of the huge mahogany table with a steaming cup of coffee resting in front of him.

"Yes uncle, I know. Thank you for agreeing to my terms. Please don't let Dad know." Neil said standing near the glass window of his room, stealing glances at the monitor where he could see Avni sitting waiting for Mr. Vivek to return.

"I don't know what you have to do with the girl, she seems innocent and well, that's not my business. Don't worry I won't tell Mr. Prakash about this little arrangement of ours." Mr. Vivek smiled at Neil. Neil and he were like best friends and Prakash considered Mr. Vivek as his own brother. Mr. Vivek could never deny Neil and thus agreed to hire Avni a.ka. Ananya even before the interview took place.

"Don't worry Uncle, I'll make sure that the chocolates reach your home without Aunty's knowledge" Neil winked at Mr. Vivek and chuckled. He continued, " and she's not that innocent, I've some unfinished business with her" he said under his breath and smirked.

"Very well then, young man, the deal is sealed. You are responsible for sneaking in chocolates for me. I think she's waited enough, I must leave now, Sir" Mr. Vivek said, faking a professional tone, glancing at the security monitor which displayed Avni sitting on the sofa set, sipping coffee.

Neil played along, "Yes, Mr. Tripathi, I'll see you around. Thank you." Both chuckled and Mr. Vivek left the office.

Vivek Tripathi's cabin

"Ms. Verma, Congratulations and welcome to the Khanna Empire. We are pleased to have you on board. The papers are signed and here's your copy of the contract." Mr. Vivek said forwarding a file to Avni. She took it, glanced at it and kept it in her bag and got up to leave.

"Thank you for your time sir, I'll be joining from tomorrow. I'm lucky to be here." She shook hands with him and left the building. She was in her own bubble, not noticing anyone around. Little did she know that someone's gaze was following her through the office.

**********

Please vote and comment!Sorry could not reply to the comments, but I loved all of them. I apologize for the delay as well!

Precap:

"I'm sorry Ms. Verma, you can't breach the contract. You have to stay for the year"

"What rubbish, I'll sue you, I'll take legal action against you. You can't just get away with it Khanna"

"Get away with what Ms. Verma? Well, I have a meeting next, you better be ready."