1 - new beginnings

bakugo's eyes fluttered open, he looked around hazily. god, where am i? he thought for a split second, and only a split second. memories flooded back in the blink of an eye and oh, how he wished he could've kept that ignorance he had woken up with. his chest tightened at the thought of his mother, and he wanted to stay put where he was. he wouldn't have minded living in this dirt cave and starving to death with this dragon. wait. he looked over to the right, where he had last seen the dragon. where's that scaly bastard?! he stood up quickly, banging his head onto the top of the small cave. "ah, fuck!" he exclaimed. he placed a hand onto the spot he had just hit, rubbing his head a bit. he looked around a bit, then walked out of the cave. he looked around for any sign of the red dragon, and found none. none besides the bloodied grass, blood that could've belonged to it, or its mother, or his own mother. he took in, yet another, deep breath. he let it out. he had lost the dragon, he barely cared, he was at least glad that the dumb thing was alive. though he wasn't sure how long it'd survive without it's mother. he looked around one last time before heading home. he walked into the village, all eyes were on him and he knew why. they pitied him, and honestly, in that moment, he pitied himself. word had obviously spread quickly about his mother, she was the strongest member of their entire village and he was sure that most of their pity came from two things, obviously the fact that bakugo was now an orphan, and from the fact that he would have to replace her, as the top beast slayer in their village.

"oi, bakugo," a voice called out, it was the familiar voice of the bakers son, kaminari. bakugo looked over at the boy who was covered in flour, he was always covered in flour, bakugo wondered how much money the bakery lost from such a waste of flour.

"hm?" he hummed in reply, stopping in his tracks.

"i-" he paused, walking up to bakugo. he placed the towel in his hand over his shoulder. "listen, i'm really sorry about what happened," he said in a low voice.

"why're you whispering?" bakugo replied, "as if the whole fucking town doesn't already know!" he yelled, looking around at the people who were staring. kaminari flinched at the boy's words, raising a hand defensively.

"i know, i know, i'm sorry," he said. "i'm really sorry-"

"why're you sorry," bakugo said bluntly, "you didn't kill her," he went on. "are you sorry because she's dead and now i'm all alone, since my old man decided to go and fucking die too, or are you sorry because she was your biggest buyer and now the bakery's at a loss!" he barked. "woe is me," he said sarcastically before starting to walk away. kaminari gulped, tears pricking at his eyes, tears of pity.

"i'm still sorry!" the blonde baker called out to bakugo. "you don't deserve that! no one does!" he said.

"i can think of a few people that do," he muttered, looking around at the people who continued to watch him. shamelessly making a spectacle of him. does no one have a fucking life of their own here? god. they all ought to have their eyes poked out. he thought, his eyebrows furrowed and his chin held high. he refused to look like a charity case. he passed signs, village announcements with his mothers name on them. announcements of her funeral. even in death his family was nothing but a village spectacle, they acted like they respected them, but they didn't. bakugo wished hard for a plague that'd wipe them all out. in this moment, he hated everything.

*

finally, he was home. he walked into their home, turning on the candles. then he heard rumbling in the living room. he furrowed his brows slightly, walking slowly towards the living room. he heard another cling and clang in the living room, he pulled a knife from his bag then leaned into the living room. he poked his head into the room, spotting a shadowy figure which was looking into drawers and around the couch cushions. "oi!" he snarled at the figure, which jumped.