02: New Recruit

Stefano Vanzetti
November 1, 2016

"What is the report for the recruitment this month?" Uncle Ernesto asked the head of the recruiting division. Adriano looked at his father as he spoke. I was becoming bored of this meeting already. These summaries we'd have took longer than necessary and I had other work to do.

"We've been studying sixteen potential members, all ages 12-17. We've gotten majority of their fathers' approvals but as we all know, it's up to the boys to make becoming part of the pride, their decision. Fortunately, six of them will be straightened out this following weekend." Louise leaned back in his chair as he read off the report.

I nodded my head. "What are the names?"

"Giovanni Rossi. 15. He works with his father as a mechanic at the shop downtown.
Marcello Bianchi. 17. Real smart fellow. Graduated top ten in his high school class." Louise said flicking the sheet. I urged him to continue.
"Salvatore Morelli. 16. Good kid. I wonder what he's trying to prove." Louise furrowed his eyebrows.

"We'll find out soon enough." Adriano said with a wicked smile.

Louise looked at us with a smirk before reading off the last name.

"Vincent Vandal. 17. Another good kid. His father's an electrician and he works with him. We've been trying to recruit him for years. His answer's always been no but this time around, he's singing a different tune. There's something that we like about him. 'Surprised he hasn't been straightened out yet. He put an idiot armed robber in the hospital for trying to attack his mother." Louise said clasping his hands together, a look of mischief in his eyes.

I was becoming annoyed. "You've been drilling him?" I asked. Perhaps my tone gave way because all the men in the room looked my way. Louise furrowed his eyebrows together. "Sir, he's the type of boy we can mold easily. He's got the attitude and balls."

"I've told you, if an individual declines the offer of being made, let him come to us next time. We want men who will be committed, not accepting the offer because they're been hunted down and pushed against the wall."

"So what's the real issue, cousin? Vandal has already said, yes." Adriano grinned. If he wasn't my cousin, I'd kill him.

"The problem now is we don't know how much of a serious candidate he is. We can't just straighten out anyone." I said firmly, narrowing my eyes at everyone in the room.

Louise nodded his head. "Understood sir."