Chapter One: Shades Drawn

"Would you be useful and help me find Alexi?" I stomp to a stop and glare at the delinquent staring at his phone.

Asher the Derelict pouts like a child banished to the corner before proceeding to taunt me, "What? You're not tall enough to see over the crowd?"

This d-keep your cool Layla

"You know I'm not, so just help me find Alexi, please."

He finally nods and pockets his phone, "I still don't understand why he won't answer any of our texts."

"Well, let's go find him and have him spill."

Swaying through the endless sea of meandering students, I drag Asher forward by his sweaty hand. I don't know if this room got smaller, or if there are a lot more students. Either way, mixing dozens of young adults with the clinging summer heat does not lead to a comfortable icy environment. Just above the horizon of shoulders a flash of golden blond curls glitters in the fluorescent lighting. I tug my metaphorical child forward with the purpose filled strides of a hungry house cat who's just heard the clattering of dry food against a ceramic dish.

"Sara!" I shout, stretching and flailing my arms in the air with Asher's arm not far behind.

"Did she see us?" I swivel around on my heels.

"I sure hope so, you nearly ripped my arm from it's socket," he grumbles cradling it.

"Oh you poor baby. Now, come on, lead the way," I laugh shoving him forward through the stench of death, that might even rival the New London Sewers, and off in Sara's direction.

"Layla!" she squeals clinging to me like a sloth to her tree after I've tapped her one her shoulder.

Regardless of just seeing her last week when Asher and I helped her move, I squeeze her just as tightly. Her familiar, comforting scent makes my bottled up anxiety bubble up to the fictional pond in my head, but I force it down. Today is the start of a new year full of studying and adventure. I can't face any of that with fear.

"Everyone, please turn your eyes up here."

Mr. Gale, as elegant as always, stands at his place at the front of the gym, in between the doors that barricade my path to my long awaiting dorm room. Oh how I wish I could skip this introduction and collapse into the comfort of my plush mattress. I wonder if it's changed any?

Last year, I had gotten curious and asked Mr. Gale about how they obtained our desired room specifications, and he told me they didn't. Being that that moment was before Asher, Alexi, and I left on our little trip. I didn't believe him in the slightest. But knowing what I do, if he wasn't lying, and my room has changed does that mean I've changed as well? Could Mr. Gale gauge our progress as students based on how our rooms look each year?

Now that would be interesting...

"You're all dismissed. Except Second Years. I need to speak privately with all of you," Mr Gale hands his mic off and steps off his soap box.

"What did I miss?" I whisper hitting Asher with my elbow.

"We don't have to do that awful pre-ATM testing!" Alexi cheers.

"Wait! When did you get here?" I stare up at him starstruck.

Well, I would be if he were a star. Like one of those that goes through the CNO cycle just to provide us quality entertainment.

"Wow, Layla, you really did miss a lot. I've been standing next to you ever since Tara kidnapped Asher right after Gale started his spiel."

"Someone abducted Asher, again? Why didn't you tell me!"