Changing

The strip had changed so much in one hundred years. Skip hovercars, in my opinion, the transformation of the strip from a Porn infested mommy-loves-me-the-best catwalk for hotels, casinos, wannabes, and rich and famous (and sometimes all of them at the same time), into a sacrificial dystopia (not to say that it wasn't a dystopia before), well, that is an extremely impressive feat.

It was awe inspiring, as well as terrifying. Light coruscated from the slick stones below, while the fresco on the wall next to her added to the silent terror that accompanied the journey towards the judicial building. It reminded her of old Germany, before They got angry.

Eileen took a step forward and took a deep breath. Everyone was in the courtroom, thus there was no need whatsoever to panic. She had to find him on the wall, somewhere. She knew he was there, the faceless man.

Just like every other famous world attraction that had been in Las Vegas, this one was also fake. But the bombing in Germany had taken away just as much here as it had there, and it was time to replace it. She fidgeted with the piece in her pocket, wincing when a sharp edge drew blood. That had been unintentional, and you'd think she would have learned by now, yet she kept cutting herself.

She ran a hand along the wall, striding forward until she finally found a chink in the cheap porcelain. Breathlessly she pulled the piece from her pocket and slid it into the gap, still red at the edges from her blood. She took a deep breath and stepped back, waiting for the inevitable glow.

A glow erupted from the craggy cracks of the mural. And Eileen felt herself sink to her knees, bathed in the light, as she felt a strange pulling just inside her mind.