The Parcel

The first section of forest began, arching over the hill like a dark eyebrow. He started forward, once again curious as to the possibilities that lay on the other side of the forest. His breath crystallized in the chilly air, boots crunching on the snowy ground.

He shifted his pack on his back and started up the hill. The sky was darkening quickly, and he had just reached the edge of the forest. He forest was dangerous, but being out in the open was too.

His parcel weighed heavily on his back, reminding him of the burden he carried. It was too dangerous to carry it any other way than this. They were not allowed on the railways into the city, and they were not supposed to reach the city at all, but it had to get there. There had been an overnight request.

Of course, it wasn't something people generally 'ordered' at his shop, so this was not like a normal delivery. He stepped into the shade of the trees, setting his pack on the ground. He lit a small fire and set the package in his lap, but not to close to the fire.

He unwrapped the blankets, and set the infant on his lap. "You are going to see your auntie and uncle, aren't you!" He smiled, then Cooed, "You have been such a good girl, on the entire trip, yes you have!" He smiled, pulling out a water skin filled with milk.

He had come to enjoy the little one's company.