Covered in Mud

(Shiro's POV)
It's been 11 years since the first outbreak of lies began. At first, no one knew. This was how the Mafia planned on getting into a position of power. Then, once in that position, they closed in on the kill.

It was a beautiful summer morning. I was sitting at home eating breakfast with my family when the radio signaled the urgent news alert. We all turned our heads towards where our radio sat. A woman's voice could be heard, she was frantic and seemed to be out of breath.

"Breaking news! The Mafia has just attacked the White House. They are currently holding multiple civilians hostage, as well as the president, Senate, and all other individuals in positions of power. If anyone is watching this, I urge you, PLEASE stay inside, lock your doors, and don't come out for as long as possible. This is NOT a drill. Hide away your loved ones. Please, stay safe."

-Gunshot-

We waited in anticipation, holding our breath for whatever was next.

"Ah! That should do it. Hello, citizens of Washington, DC. My name is Lotor, I am the leader of the infamous Port Mafia. Within the next few hours, you will be approached by member officials of my organization. If you wish to keep your life, I recommend surrendering. Resist will be met with the immediate death of you and of those you love. Do not be afraid, compliance will ensure you no harm. Thank you for your time.

-Static-

(Current time)

That day... it was traumatic. I was merely 13 at the time. After the radio broadcast, my parents took Keith and I to a family friend named Coran. He took us (along with his niece, Allura) to the coast of Louisiana, where we decided to build a small home in the woods and hide out for the next couple of years. I don't know what happened to my parents. They were afraid of the Mafia following us, so they went back to try and hold them off. They never came for us.

For the first 3 years, we stayed in hiding. We gathered as much info as possible, trained to defend ourselves, and scavenged for food. We found out that the Mafia's way of taking over was through highly complicated bioengineering. Washington was the first of it; the lab rats, if you will. Put simply, it's mind control. Any words that come out of Lotor's mouth are set to register and be believed 100% by the person hearing them, if they have undergone the procedure. The only downfall to this is that there is one defining physical difference between the Infected and the Clean. Those who are Infected will always have two large, red, circular scars right on both temples. As any good ruler would, he erased any memories of how he got into his position of power. He also has erased any particularly violent memories regarding him. After he obtained all of Washington, he moved on, spreading more lies. Eventually, he came upon those who had learned of his plans prior to his arrival. One group of those nearly cost him his life. Since then, he has also planted the order to turn in or kill any members of the resistance, or anyone who rebels.

After 3 years, Coran decided that we needed more allies. So, Coran, Allura, Keith, and I all traveled cautiously, seeking out as many of the Clean as possible. We found multiple of those who are Clean, hiding out in abandoned towns, in caves, etc. We all settled down in a large abandoned underground bomb shelter, probably from the last war. Because of this, the area surrounding it was overgrown and quiet for miles and miles. Deciding that there was no other more perfect opportunity, we made ourselves a home. We eventually had to add onto it on the outside, hiding small houses with greenery in an attempt to help them blend in with the rest of the forest area. We trained all people who came in seeking shelter how to fight, both in short and long distance combat. It was almost like we were preparing our own military for a war. I suppose, that's what it was. Since then, Coran has passed. Being the founder, he was also our leader. As he was on his deathbed, he left the Rebellion in the hands of Allura and I. That was 5 years ago.