Chapter 6

As if this would happen to me of all people. Sitting opposite me was Liam, my first ever crush, now in Chicago, taking me to dinner.

On the phone was some bipolar stranger's girlfriend, calling me to tell me that he needs help.

48 hours ago the only guys in my life were Ben and Jerry... life somehow seemed simpler, and definitely sweeter that way.  You're so funny Kiara.

Despite my promise to myself that I was done with Callum, I couldn't stop my heart from clenching at the thought of him being hurt.

Looking into Liam's eyes, I heard myself saying, "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thanks, Kiara." Liv sounded relieved. "I wouldn't call you if it wasn't important. About last night-"

"Don't worry about it," I cut her off, standing up, "I'll see you soon."

"We're in Callum's dorm," she said, "Room 307."

The phone clicked as she hung up. 

Liam had a confused look on his face. "Who was it?" He asked. "Wait, why are you getting up? We were just getting to know each other," he flashed a smile.

I didn't return it. I didn't know how Liam would react if I told him it was about Callum. I didn't want him to tell Kate, either. 

"What... Kiara! You're not saying anything." His eyes turned hard. "Is it an emergency?"

Now that he asked, I realised that whilst she did sound panicked, Liv didn't sound like she was frantic. They were still in Callum's dorm and planned on being there by the time I got there, which was a good sign. That meant they hadn't called an ambulance. Or it meant that he couldn't move. 

"That was Liv on the phone," I said calmly. "Something happened to Callum." 

Liam's face darkened. His tone was flat as he said, "So you're going to leave me. For him." It wasn't a question but an accusation. 

Something about the way he said it made me pause. It was more than fair to say that he'd been flirting with me since his arrival. But he hadn't actually made a move on me and as far as I was concerned, I wasn't leaving anyone for anyone else. 

"I'm leaving dinner with a friend, to go help another friend." I replied coolly. 

"So this is dinner with a friend, is it?" His eyes were smouldering. He stood up from the table and said, "No problem, Kiara." His voice was icy, but as controlled as ever. "I'll take you to your 'friend'. Just remember, next time he punches a wall - or worse - I won't be there to help you."

The words hung in the air, sinister in what they suggested. People started to look at us as we stood at the table. Both of us were frozen still. His coal black eyes searched me as he said, "Let's go. You're not ready for this anyway."

Suddenly I snapped. What was wrong with these people. Since when was it normal for people to just barge into your life, assume you were madly in love with them and that you were going to one day be 'ready' for them!

"Ready for WHAT?!" my voice was loud. "This?" I gestured at the dinner. "This is dinner, Liam. You can't just come to visit me, say hello, and by the way, you're not ready for me. Who do you think you are? What is WRONG with you men these days!"

People were definitely looking now. We were making a scene. Liam's façade seemed thrown off. I doubt he'd ever been in a public argument, anywhere. Let alone in a tiny restaurant, with a girl who was rejecting him.

I felt I was breathing heavily, my hair tousled. I wanted to roar at the people around – WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT.

And then, Liam took two perfectly measured strides, and he just kissed me.