Eight | Don't Go Into

"Noooo!" the demon shrieked.

As soon as Jeff caught the crucifix, a powerful wave of energy rippled through the area. Detective Grant and the demon stumbled back as Laney fell on her rear. Jeff's sickly appearance instantly changed. Vitality and color returned to his body. His posture corrected itself as he stood more upright. A bright smile flashed across his face. He was made anew. And surprisingly, he knew precisely what to do with the crucifix.

"Her name is Deception!" Detective Grant shouted, before getting hit from behind by her energy. He flew forward, hitting the ground with a thud.

To the Detective's surprise, the crucifix morphed into a gold-hilted dagger, with a foot-long blade. However, a larger version of the crucifix was still attached to the hilt. Jeffrey spoke a prayer so powerfully that a blue energy materialized and enveloped him.

The Holy Spirit.

Deception lurched forward, but with all of Detective Grant's might, he scrambled off the dirt and bearhugged her.

"By the power of the Holy Spirit! Be gone Deception! Duke-Demon of Hell!" As if it was a lifelong hobby, Jeffrey slung the dagger like a throwing knife, connecting solidly with Deception's heart.

Deception's body seized and contorted violently. "You'll... be... sorry! Lucifer's Crown... unlocked!"

Detective Grant slid from her dress and landed back on the ground for the umpteenth time.

"I curse you back to deepest pits of Hell from which you came! You have no authority over me!"

Deception writhed on the ground like a snake. Her skin dissipated. Her influence waned and soon the Detective felt his freedom approaching. As Jeff spoke, her presence depleted until she exploded into dust, only a distant shriek of "you're mine!" remained audible as she disappeared.

Jeff and Laney came to the Detective's aid. He lay motionless on the ground but was still completely conscious. He could not move. All of his energy had been zapped by that last attack from Deception.

"Are you okay, my friend?" Jeff asked concernedly. "How can I help?"

Detective Grant couldn't speak; his raw throat too tight for any words to squeeze through.

"Don't worry," Jeff assured. "I know where to go, hang in there."

The Detective felt Jeff hoist him up and wrap his arm around his neck before passing out completely.

                                                                                               ***

Detective Grant regained consciousness as he pushed himself off the wooden bench. He was back inside Repentance Church. Father Elron and Jeff were off to the side in one of the aisles, discussing something of great importance. Jeff's expression darkened as Laney sat in his lap. Whatever Elron was explaining, it seemed to cause him much pain.

"Hello," the Detective said, standing up. His body ached no more. He felt vibrant with energy and vitality. "Glad we made it back, Jeff."

"Glad you're awake, friend," Jeff replied, hugging on his daughter. His face quickly reverted to the sadness and he began to weep. "I'm so sorry, baby girl." He croaked.

Father Elron walked over to the Detective, leading them away from Jeff and Laney. "I'm glad you found him after all this time." Elron smiled.

"Is he okay? He seems... distraught," he replied. "I thought saving him from his demons would make him happy."

"Mixed emotions," Elron said. "His daughter has to go now. You two freed her from this place. She can now be at peace with our Creator."

"Our Creator?" The Detective replied. "Wait, are you saying..."