Prologue

She was dying, and she knew it.

   Her skin was oily as grease.  She was seeing stars and her temperature was higher than the sun. Her sanity was quivering at its edge. Her soul was lost to her. No memories arose. Blotches dotted her neck and back.

   Redneck.

   Her hand dragged across the dark moist dirt and found a final sensation.

   It stung, more than anything. She grasped the sensation tightly. Tears leaked out of her eyes, dripping in her lips, blued with frost. Scarlet broke free as stitch by stitch unraveled and heaped. Gasping, she could remember, in midst of the stark, pins-and-needles, she remembered .

   More and more and more. Stitch by stitch by stitch. Her life unwound before her eyes. With scarlet staining her clothes and lips and her fingers, she remembered.

   Lilly.

   What was this mysterious thing called? Yes, a name. Her name.

   Her mission. One given by the IT department. 

   Her duty. Her oath. 

   And of the blue-haired fairy she sworn to protect? 

  Lola. Her lips tingled at the sound. Lola.

  Lola.

  "Lilly, I'm hungry!"

   The fairy's voice was music to her ears.

   "Lola!" Her face loomed before hers. "Are you okay?"

   "Are you okay, Lilly? Your redneck better?"

   "Where's IT?"

   "They want the girl to be brought to them in five days. Who's the girl?"

   "Lils, I know you told me not to take things from strangers but I was so hungry. It's mostly been me carrying you and not you carrying me. Have some water."  

   Wet spilled in her cracked lips. "Thanks."

  Why would they give Lola water. She wrestled the bottle out of the girl's hand. It was tinged with silver...

  She had failed her mission, and the world would pay.