Chapter 4: Crushes are the Worst

The next day, Hermione filled me in on what happened at midnight. She and Neville had gone along with Harry and Ron, Malfoy didn't show up for the duel, then the four of them met a three-headed dog while running away from Filch —the Hogwarts caretaker— and his rotten cat Mrs. Norris.

At breakfast, Harry started telling Ron and me about a package from Gringotts Bank.

"It's either really valuable, or really dangerous," said Ron once Harry had finished.

"Or both," I said.

Harry and Ron both nodded. Hermione didn't say anything. She was giving Ron and Harry —who still aren't her friends— the silent treatment.

Just as I was finishing the last of my oatmeal, the owls started flooding the halls. You'll never guess what I got!

Absolutely nothing.

I watched as Hedwig carried down an extremely odd-shaped parcel to Harry. It looked mysteriously like a broomstick. Hey, I wonder if it's a broomstick!

Harry handed a note to Ron, to quickly read it over. He tossed it to me once he was done. I glazed over it as well. It was from Professor McGonagall, telling Harry that she had bought him a broom for Quidditch — and not just any broom, but a Nimbus Two Thousand.

I beamed at Harry as I passed back the letter.

"A Nimbus Two Thousand," moaned Ron enviously. "I've never even touched one."

The three of us hurried out of the Hall and up toward Gryffindor Tower to open the parcel. But sadly, before we reached our destination, Malfoy and his fake friends slid in front of us.

Malfoy glared in confusion at the present, then snatched it and felt it. What looked like a mixture of jealously and spite crossed his face as he threw it back to Harry.

"That's a broomstick," he said.

"No, duh," I said. "What'd you think it was, a rabbit?"

Ron and Harry chuckled.

Malfoy ignored me. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter. First years aren't allowed broomsticks."

"It's not just any old broomstick," Ron said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What'd you say you had at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?"

It was true. He did only have a Comet Two Sixty. I've seen it before — but Malfoy won't let me ride on it.

"Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus," Ron explained to Harry.

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you can't afford half the handle," Malfoy sneered. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron could attack him, the Charms Instructor —Professor Flitwick— showed up at Malfoy's side.

"Not arguing, I hope?" he squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," Malfoy said quickly.

"Yes, that's right," Professor Flitwick said, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. What model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand," Harry told him.

There was horror written across Malfoy's face. I stifled a laugh.

"And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I got it," Harry added. He, Ron, and I started up the stairs.

"Did you see the look on his face?" I said as soon as we were out of earshot.